Liner Lock Knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by 40Arpent, Jun 25, 2009.

1. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I am not a fan of liner locks for two reasons. One, I don't care to have my thumb in the path of a closing blade. Two, I don't trust that I will not inadvertently release the lock if I am using the knife in some awkward position while cutting.

For fans of liner lock knives, what benefits am I missing by staying away from these knives?

2. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    No shit, Sherlock, but if I have been drinking and my reaction time is slow... :rofl: Just kiddin' with ya...but I can't believe you felt compelled to tell me that I gotta move my thumb. I may be a Cajun, but come on now! :rofl:

What makes it safer?

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Another thing that a spine lock knife is bad about is the tendency to just flat out break, for no good damn reason they might just fall apart. I have not had this problem with just cheapo crap either.

4. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks guys, y'all are helping to enlighten me. :happy0001: The only locking knives I am using currently are Benchmade, with the Axis (button) lock. I only have one liner knife, a relatively inexpensive one that only takes a slight bit of pressure on the back of the blade to defeat the liner lock. Needless to say, that one does not see too much use.

5. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Liner locks for the most part are crapola. But they are cheap. I've always carried a pocket knife. Its the perfect tool for everything (almost). Therin I break off the tips and bend the Aluminium quite often. Cheap liner locks don't upset you when you have to toss it and get another.
    My current knife is one of the freebie give aways from Cabela's. I've reground the tip a couple of times, but its hanging in there.
    I don't carry a knife for personal security, its just another tool to be used as needed.

6. I've got a Microtech dual action SOCOM & a Chris Reeve Mnandi that are both liner locks.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't think they are all crap, but the cheap ones definitely have their faults. I do carry a knife for personal security at work and at home. If I'm on an armed site and there is a grab made for my gun, or if my access has been restricted to my gun I may need another option. And fast! If I'm working an unarmed post and I get attacked with deadly force or potentially deadly force, I my need it to save my life. There are all kinds of options out there, I think everyone will stick to what they like and be happy with it. I'm still not thrilled about this axis lock, but I know nothing about it and have little experience with them other than looking and handling a few.

8. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Please explain your opinion.

9. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I'd also like to know the definition of cheap here... my pocket book cries with low numbers sometimes

10. CarbonCycles

CarbonCycles Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Chris Reeves has some of the strongest liner locks I've used; instead of using a separate thin piece of metal to lock out the blade, Chris uses the entire frame for the lock. In my experience, I've found it easier to disengage the liner lock than your standard spine-lock as you can curl your fingers and accidentally disengage the lock. I've done this several times on my Benchmade and almost impossible on the Spyderco. As for the Chris Reeves, I'm still experimenting with it, but so far, I've been very impressed with the build.