Target Sports

List of states that a Texas LTC is reciprocal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    Here’s where your Texas permit is valid.
    F5904045-DBCD-46BF-87F7-D6608880F1EC.png

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Check each state though individualy before you travel to that state. Every state is different, and some sights do have mistakes.

Example: Maine. They do NOT recognize a Texas LTC, however they are a constitutional carry state. Except when it comes to the state and national parks. To carry in their state parks or national park you MUST have a license to carry from a state that Maine recognizes. Thus, while you CAN carry most places in Maine, you can not carry in a state park or national park.

Maine does not recognize many states LTC’s. However it is very easy to get a Maine Non-resident LTC.

I got mine in 30 days, after taking the NRA basic pistol course and paying $60.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    As for the US Territory of Puerto Rico (PR), I asked a lawyer licensed in PR, and he told me PR does not have reciprocity.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    As for the US Territory of Puerto Rico (PR), I asked a lawyer licensed in PR, and he told me PR does not have reciprocity.

Interesting. I dont think he is up to speed on thr new act in place on Jan 1, 2020. According to the lawyer i spoke with, they recognize everyones LTC. However, you have to register the gun you will carry at least 5 days BEORE you arrive in PR. Otherwise your LTC isnt valid.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Interesting. I dont think he is up to speed on thr new act in place on Jan 1, 2020. According to the lawyer i spoke with, they recognize everyones LTC. However, you have to register the gun you will carry at least 5 days BEORE you arrive in PR. Otherwise your LTC isnt valid.

You may be right although I’m still a bit confused with the new law. I found this summary in English:

Sounds like you need two separate licenses - one a Weapons License to buy and have a firearm (I’m guessing kind of like those FOID cards some northern states require?) and then a separate concealed carry license to carry on your person. Or at least that’s what it appears to say to me.

It goes on to talk about the Weapons License being issued only to residents of Puerto Rico and that PR has reciprocity with only 14 states (TX not included). So would those non-residents holding a reciprocal license still run afoul of the law for not having a Weapons License? That doesn’t make sense if a Weapons License is only given to residents, but who knows? I’m also curious to know why only 14 states are recognized through reciprocity.

I guess I’ll have to read the original Spanish version of the new law to try to better understand it. Only reason I’m curious is because my family is from PR, and we still visit from time to time.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    You may be right although I’m still a bit confused with the new law. I found this summary in English:

Sounds like you need two separate licenses - one a Weapons License to buy and have a firearm (I’m guessing kind of like those FOID cards some northern states require?) and then a separate concealed carry license to carry on your person. Or at least that’s what it appears to say to me.

It goes on to talk about the Weapons License being issued only to residents of Puerto Rico and that PR has reciprocity with only 14 states (TX not included). So would those non-residents holding a reciprocal license still run afoul of the law for not having a Weapons License? That doesn’t make sense if a Weapons License is only given to residents, but who knows? I’m also curious to know why only 14 states are recognized through reciprocity.

I guess I’ll have to read the original Spanish version of the new law to try to better understand it. Only reason I’m curious is because my family is from PR, and we still visit from time to time.

There is a difference for being a non-resident and a resident.

If your a non-resident. A "foid" card is not needed. Just like Illinois. You dont need a foid card unless your a resident.

The 14 states was PRIOR to the new act effective on January 1st 2020.

Their is reciprocity with all states LTC's except Vermont because they dont have a LTC.

For non-residents you need to register 5 days in advance and get approval. Without registration your gun is illegal to carry. Now if you go yo PR and meet up with a family or friend, and they have a registered gun. you can carry their weapon. You cant buy it though.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    There is a difference for being a non-resident and a resident.

If your a non-resident. A "foid" card is not needed. Just like Illinois. You dont need a foid card unless your a resident.

The 14 states was PRIOR to the new act effective on January 1st 2020.

Their is reciprocity with all states LTC's except Vermont because they dont have a LTC.

For non-residents you need to register 5 days in advance and get approval. Without registration your gun is illegal to carry. Now if you go yo PR and meet up with a family or friend, and they have a registered gun. you can carry their weapon. You cant buy it though.

Good to know. Thanks.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I recently had a friend remind me that while many states are reciprocal with Texas carry permits a few do have a round limit of 10, 15, or 20 rounds.

Top Bottom