• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oxjobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Grosvenor
    Looking for some load data and a little feedback , or personal knowledge some of you have had with loading this gun, what pressures this gun should be held under etc, 150 grn , 165grn bullet, Thanks
    Hurley's Gold

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    This is a big topic of discussion over on the CMP forum since that's where most guys buy their M1s. Some will give you some BS about the M1 being built around a 150 grain bullet with certain pressure loads based on IMR 4895, but when the M1 was designed, the Army was using the .30-06 round with a 172 grain bullet, not the 150. The 172 grain was designated M1 Ball. The 150 grain load is M2 Ball that was adopted later on.
    This is a link to some posted safe loads for the M1
    [URL]http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm[/URL]

The new Hornady manual has a section devoted to M1 specific loads. I would go with that rather than someone's pet load that may or may not work in your rifle. You can also install an adjustable gas plug if you want to shoot bullets heavier than 172 grains. The heaviest I load are 168s, so I have not done that.

You should not shoot some factory ammo in your rifle. Pressures will be higher and could cause you to bend the op rod. Hornady is loading M1 specific ammo that was available at Camp Perry this year for the National Matches.

The old standby powder is IMR 4895. That's what I use in mine and it works fine. You can check out the CMP forum if you want. Lots of good guys over there that love M1s. It's at [URL="http://www.odcmp.com"]www.odcmp.com[/URL].

Pressure with the 150 grain bullet/49 grains of IMR 4895 will be around 48,000 CUP which is where you want to be.

oxjobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Grosvenor
    Thanks, I will check out the, the New Horandy book , I have the last 2 , but not the newest, I defanttly don't want to damage this weapon, I'm getting it for my Dad, It's one he has always wanted, sionce he trained with it, I have a 1000 , Horangy 150's I use them in My M1-A, Now It will be Sept- Oct before 4895 will be available here, And I'm Out , will check the pressures, against RL-15 and Varget, The rifle is coming with UMC ammo included will check data on them , Thanks againBullseye shooter

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You're welcome. Widener's ([url]www.wideners.com[/URL]) has RG 4895 in stock for $109.00 for eight pounds. It's a British surplus powder that is the equivalent of IMR 4895. Some of the guys on the CMP forum have tried it and it does burn the same as the IMR powder. Even with the hazmat fee, it is less expensive than IMR 4895 right now.

oxjobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Grosvenor
    Thanks Again, The rifle came with some 150 grn Remington Core-locs and 180 grn Cor-locs, But no where can I fingd the CUP data on it, guess I'll deep 6 it and reload the brass with I know

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Looking for some load data and a little feedback , or personal knowledge some of you have had with loading this gun, what pressures this gun should be held under etc, 150 grn , 165grn bullet, Thanks
    I have used 748 win powder with good results. I don't remember the load but the burn rate and pressures are very close to 4895. The factory pressure for mil. spec load is 50000 psi. The rifle will handle about twice that with out blowing up. The rifle was tested for that much back during the origional tests. It was then fired several thousand more rounds. The weak link is the op rod as high port pressure will bend it. Remember these rifles are more than 50 years old, so pay attention as to what you feed them, and they will make another 50.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I know my Hornady reloading manual (7th edition) has a special section for M1 ought-six loads.

oxjobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Grosvenor
    Thanks Guys , this Gun was a Gift to My Dad , I've looked many a yr for one I could afford, So yes You right , I want it to make another fifty yrs,

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    AFAIK, the "problem" is with pressure curves and not with overall pressure of bullet weight. Slow burning powders peak late enough in the burn cycle that they put too much load on the op rod.
    Generally speaking 4895 has the "ideal" pressure curve. Slower powders will probably peak too late. Most faster powders seem to be OK. I have used BLC-2 and Win 748 with good results. My 748 load will cut group size in half or smaller.
    I generally use 150gr FMJ's. The supplies of M-2 projectiles have dried up lately so I use the Hornaday 150gr FMJ/BT. For more effective hunting ammo I use Hornaday 165gr SP/BT's and 748.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    This is a quote from the Sierra Bullet website regarding loading for the M1.

The problem here is not one of pressure, but of port pressure. Port pressure is the amount of pressure remaining in the barrel of a gas-operated firearm, when the bullet passes by the gas port. The Garand was designed for use with medium burning rate powders 4895 and IMR 4064. Using a slow-burning powder such as 4831, even if the load develops relatively mild chamber pressure, will still give excessively high port pressures. This causes violent cycling of the action and can result in a bent operating rod. Load your Garand with only those medium-burning powders which are compatible with its gas system.

Also, Widener's has some 145 grain FMJBTs in stock that I've used in my M1 with good results and the price is right. http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|281|727

oxjobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Grosvenor
    Super Feed back from You Guys' and I thank all of you, I have found 4895, It finally made it to our shelves, We only have 1 sporting goods here, I have loaded the 150fmj, with the 4895 , acurate and mild recoil, will try some of the 748 data ,
    Again Thanks for the input

Top Bottom