• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    A few questions about magazines and cartridges.

How long do you keep magazines loaded?

Do you load them completely full or -1 (so as not to fully compress the spring)?

Do you always keep the handgun loaded? If so, the same cartridge? Or do you rotate them?
    Texas SOT

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Do you load them completely full or -1 (so as not to fully compress the spring)?

Do you always keep the handgun loaded? If so, the same cartridge? Or do you rotate them?

Welcome to the Forum!

I usually down load by one.
    I don't normally unload a mag.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

I haven't had any trouble with loaded magazines. I keep many loaded for months with no trouble. An empty magazine in a handgun is a brick. If I notice any oxidation on the ammo I'll replace it or shoot it and replace the ammo. Other than that I only empty and replace when shooting.

BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    Thanks for the replies. I was unchambering and swapping cartridges but I started to believe that was unnecessary. Sounds like that’s the majority opinion.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks for the replies. I was unchambering and swapping cartridges but I started to believe that was unnecessary. Sounds like that’s the majority opinion.

Well, you should alternate the first round of the mag, if you unload and load your gun.

BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    Well, you should alternate the first round of the mag, if you unload and load your gun.
    That I do, if I unload. But I’ve stopped doing that lately. I’ve kept watch over the years and came to the conclusion that neither my .380 ACP, 9mm or .45 ACP were having issues when staying loaded with a round chambered. I used to be a believer in springs losing their “spring”, but I’ve never noticed it in the real world

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That I do, if I unload. But I’ve stopped doing that lately. I’ve kept watch over the years and came to the conclusion that neither my .380 ACP, 9mm or .45 ACP were having issues when staying loaded with a round chambered. I used to be a believer in springs losing their “spring”, but I’ve never noticed it in the real world

I'm referring to the projectile possibly being pushed into the shell due to repeatedly being jammed into the barrel.

Nothing to do with the mag.

BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    I'm referring to the projectile possibly being pushed into the shell due to repeatedly being jammed into the barrel.

Nothing to do with the mag.
    So am I, as far as the same cartridge is concerned. Or repeatedly cycling the same round and potentially damaging the bullet.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Personally, I down-load 10rd mags by 1-2 if they are to be stored loaded for extended periods of time, 15rd mags by 2-3, and 30rd mags by usually 4. If I ever noticed compression was lacking, I probably wouldn't replace the spring, or mag, but stretch the spring to prior length by comparing to a working mag spring length, or just a little over that. Luckily, I haven't had this problem with Beretta, nor Mec-Gar mags, and the wife hadn't had issues with Ruger SR-9 mags for 6-8 years, yet.

Since I don't want projectile setback, what I have been known to do is (not always, but most of the time) when I eject the one in the chamber, I put it back in the chamber manually, drop the slide, then put in a mag...

Last edited:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Since I don't want projectile setback, what I have been known to do is (not always, but most of the time) when I eject the one in the chamber, I put it back in the chamber manually, drop the slide, then put in a mag...

I used to do that too, but then a friend told me that that the extractor is supposed to grab the new round as the slide returns to battery, and that snapping the claw over the edge of the manually chambered shell is "hard" on the extractor. I dunno. Maybe its all BS and is rooted in 1911 "extractor tuning" lore?

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I keep my metal mags full. Polymer like Magpul I keep full if they have the dust covers on them.

Surplus and range only guns I don’t keep loaded or with mags loaded.

I don’t bother downloading, it doesn’t seem to be necessary with modern magazines.

Top Bottom