ARJ Defense ad

Local knowlege needed: Nueces and 11th St.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I have been requested (well commanded really) to spend some time in the same building as some accused criminals (jury duty). The location is the Blackwell-Thurman Criminal Justice Center at 509 W. 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Street.

I live off of FM 620 between Anderson Mill and Four Points.

If I drive, is there a reliably available parking structure nearby? Cost?

If I take public transportation, do you have any suggestions on where to board and what route to take? Lakeline Station? Any reliably available parking there?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

p.s. Just moved to Austin three years ago and haven't spent much time in the downtown area.
    Hurley's Gold

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Every time I have had jury duty (but not in a good while), I drove and parked at what I believe is now (wasn't then) the Long Center and took a free Dillo bus to the courthouse. Didn't you get parking instructions with your jury summons?

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Negative.

They made it clear that there are no parking spaces reserved for jurors and that on street parking was limited and metered with a two hour maximum.

Guess I got stuck with the wrong court.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Just saw this and hope I'm not too late to help.

I used to work downtown and I've been called for jury duty in that courthouse. As others have said and as you were told: there. is. no. parking. for. you.

Now, there are obviously public pay lots and garages all over downtown, but they'll run you anywhere from $10 and up regardless of how long you stay. There are metered spaces here and there, but even if you're lucky enough to find one you'll be limited to a couple of hours or so, and the meter maids are very vigilant about handing out tickets. I've heard that the county will get your ticket dismissed if you were there for jury duty, but I have never verfiied that and I wouldn't count on it.

As AustinN4 said, they used to ask you to park at Palmer Auditorium (now the Long Center) and take the free Dillo, but there hasn't been a Dillo for many years now. I suppose there is a Cap Metro bus that takes roughly the same route, but I don't know. Also, I think most if not all of the parking at the Long Center is now paid parking (parking was free when it was Palmer, which made the arrangement a little more understandable).

If it were me, coming from Anderson Mill, I'd go to the Pavilion Park and Ride next to Academy on 183 south of Oak Knoll, and take one of the Express busses downtown. I think they call them the 183 N Express and the Pavilion Express. They go right down Guadalupe and you'll be able to jump off and get back on within a block or two of the courthouse. Unfortunately, they cost like $3.50 one way, so you're already $1 in the hole just for showing up. But there aren't any cheaper options that I'm aware of. I believe you can also catch the 183N Express near Lakeline Mall if that's more convenient but I'm not exactly sure where the station is.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Of course you can always say during voie dire that you can not find anyone guilty because attorneys are involved/

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Dipper, I'm 0 for 3 in actually being chosen for a Williamson County jury. Once, didn't even make it into the cattle-call room, other two times I was in the last batch to be released before being called for a particular case. Free parking at the Georgetown location; but that's out in the nice, more bucolic environs of the north metro area :)

Good luck with your adventure!

By the bye, the Dillo disappeared pretty much between the time we were first looking to move here and our actual arrival...ca 2007-08. Gotta say, that was a bit of a disappointment. :( But a Dillo ride from the Long Center to 11th St could be greatly affected by weather conditions!!!)

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    You might get your bus ride for free if you show your jury summons to the bus driver. Thats the way it is in Harris county

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    I've heard that the county will get your ticket dismissed if you were there for jury duty, but I have never verfiied that and I wouldn't count on it.

This is true. I had jury duty there a few months ago. Once we wrapped up they gave us information on where to send our parking tickets if we received one. They did make sure to mention it is only good for days you were there for jury duty and will not work on other tickets like speeding...since apparently someone tried that recently.

It will just get dismissed and that will be the end of it. My meter ran out 4 hours before I got to my car and I didn't get a ticket...

I always have luck parking between 10th and 11th, from Rio Grande St to West Ave. The hill climb is a bitch if it is pouring rain though!

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I had a summons a couple weeks ago and researched parking.
    It was dismissed thank goodness.
    A lot of folks aren't aware that if you ride a scooter or motorcycle parking is free except in private lots.
    That said I would have had to park on 12th and walk down since virtually all the streets around the courthouse are blocked.
    Another option is it appears streets over from Guadalupe, San Antonio and Nueces have no pay spots.
    Otherwise Dash Riprocks suggestions are good.

will_em

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    For future reference, if you ever need to take the bus google maps has Cap Metro's bus schedule imported and can usually get you where you need to be quickly if you're going downtown or back. Punch in where you need to go and where you're at and it will tell you the fastest route, what transfers you need if any, etc. I love that app.

Top Bottom