Local Public Hunting Areas?

Discussion in 'Killeen - Central TX' started by MrPower, Jan 18, 2016.

1. MrPower

MrPower Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Killeen, Texas
    Is there anywhere near killeen that is public land and is legal to hunt on?

2. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Fort Hood, but you have to register your guns on base.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

3. baboon

baboon Well-Known

The state use to have Type 2 land to hunt on, not sure if it still exists.

4. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fannin County
    Texas still has type 2 land. You can search and a texas.gov site will provide the locations.

5. mantawolf

mantawolf Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
  6. Rbtreasures

Rbtreasures Member

Oct 4, 2015
    State has a public Lands permit with property all over the state permit is cheep and comes with a map

Rich

7. MrPower

MrPower Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Killeen, Texas
    Great, Thank you all.

8. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    K-Town
    There's a small section of Corp engineer property at the 36 - 317 intersection. It's on the north west corner.

Shotgun only. Good creek shooting. You'll have to step on rocks to past the creek. Expect your boots to get wet to access the larger part of the parcel of Fed property. If you shoot a shotgun rapid, expect Temple PD to show up and ask stupid questions. Point to the Corp of engineers sign and think to yourself, STFU and go away. It's federal property arsehole. If you go under the bridge on 36, that's not fed property. They will and do call the law. It's private. You'll notice a cut out that looks like a rock quarry on the south side of the first bridge on west bound 36 not far after the intersection. Stay out of there. That's.....under and the other side of the bridge. No go there, I'm serious.

There's another farther down on hwy36 by owl creek park. You'll see it on the left side the road by a big corner. I'd say about 2 miles down from the turn off from 36.

Then a huge one on the west side of the, The Grove. Take a left going west bound on 36 at Saint Paul's Luthren church. Head back till the payment stops and it's dirt. If I give anymore directions...you'd get lost. It's a maze of dirt roads. There's an entrance to the property that will need a truck to navigate. The property is west of McGregor park, across the lake, as the crow flies.

All shotgun only(or bow). Bird shot only. No buck or slugs.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  9. Jordon816

Jordon816 New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Copperas Cove
    good info

10. Mreed911

Mreed911 TGT Addict

Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    So what are you rushing to sell?