• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    Ok Guys and Gals We need some help here I "work," AKA I help out alot for free, for some friends of mine that opened up a new indoor shooting range/ gun shop/ class 3 dealer/ machine gun renter. Our first MP5 should be in in about a week and we will be renting it by the magazine. We have been open for about 10 months now , but we are having a hard time even making ends meat. Our prices are "of course" much better than Ganders and toe to toe with Academy AND our tax rate is only .625% I see our biggest problem as marketing. We have tried radio, news paper, door to door, flyers, just about everything minus TV as we cant afford it. We do CHL classes and even feed the student lunch durring the class. WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG? Our location is good, you can see us plain as day, our customer service is great and our knoledge isnt bad either. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks alot
    Austin Cowart
    Lynx Defense

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Do they have an online store? I am sure that a fair amount of sales can be had via a good website. Internet shoppers tend to be price sensitive, as it is quite easy to Google a comparison.

You also have to overcome the momentum of a customers habit. People tend to do as they always have, some resist change more than others.

Does the building look inviting? If you take an objective look at it, does it draw you in?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Get online. Start running promos, like Ladies night, or 'Happy Hour' where you can come in and shoot for free for an hour or so. Maybe a bowling pin shootout every other week. You've got to bring people in. If it were me, and I drove by a shop that wasn't very inviting, I'd be concerned with the type of crowd that was in there. You've got to change that perception.

As for your spending, hang onto your money as long as you can before sending it out for bills, supplies, etc. Take a look at your budget and operating costs and see where you can cinch the belt.

Ohh, if you aren't already, run an FFL service to receive guns - everyone needs a good FFL. You can get a little extra money from that. Of course, it'd be great if the customer buys a gun from you instead, but keep them coming in, one day you may have something behind the counter that catches their eye.

Don't underestimate customer service and just an all around friendly nature. People go where they feel comfortable.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Offer the full gamut in terms of labor.

- Bore Sights
    - Scope Mounting
    - Pistol Cleaning
    - Sight Installation
    - NRA Firsts / Entry Level Pistol / Rifle / Shotgun Courses
    - Defensive Pistol Shooting Courses / Intermediate Classes

You have to create an incentive for people to come in.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Ok Guys and Gals We need some help here I "work," AKA I help out alot for free, for some friends of mine that opened up a new indoor shooting range/ gun shop/ class 3 dealer/ machine gun renter. Our first MP5 should be in in about a week and we will be renting it by the magazine. We have been open for about 10 months now , but we are having a hard time even making ends meat. Our prices are "of course" much better than Ganders and toe to toe with Academy AND our tax rate is only .625% I see our biggest problem as marketing. We have tried radio, news paper, door to door, flyers, just about everything minus TV as we cant afford it. We do CHL classes and even feed the student lunch durring the class. WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG? Our location is good, you can see us plain as day, our customer service is great and our knoledge isnt bad either. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks alot
    Austin Cowart

You should definately try the advise offered by previous posts, especially about a good website. There is probably no better free advertising you can get than by word of mouth on this forum and other gun forums.
    I've read your post several times and I still don't know where your range is located. I see you live somewhere in S.E. Texas in some place called Lumberton, where ever that is.
    Good luck, we can use all the good gun ranges we can get. In the last couple of years, here in N. Texas, we have lost two very good outdoor ranges.:1zhelp:

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    continue to advertise and do not give up. take care of your repeat/regular customers without giving too much away and find the ones that love to talk. word of mouth helps a lot and if people are able to feel comfortable with hanging out at your establishment, they will be there regularly, and shooting.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    continue to advertise and do not give up. take care of your repeat/regular customers without giving too much away and find the ones that love to talk. word of mouth helps a lot and if people are able to feel comfortable with hanging out at your establishment, they will be there regularly, and shooting.

I'd listen to Ngoc. I know Jeff and the rest of the crew have a solid plan going for Shiloh. The fact that they are so open and friendly is a core reason that alot of people go there, that I can guarantee.

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    Awsome

Thanks guys please keep it up. We do have a web sight we do offer CHL Classes and we are the cheapest in the area and our customer service if not bad. We dont blow smoke to try and get a quick sale. We are the cheapest in the area in our FFL fees and do accept from non FFLs. We are planning a poker night here are my ideas on this we print up targets with all 52 cards on it we have 9 total bays 5 on the pistol and 4 on the rifle. Place the targets out around 10 to 15 yards each person has 5 shots and best hand wins. I would really like to hear yalls Ideas on this. I really think our renting machine guns is going to be a hige draw seeing as its a untapped market in this area and come on most people want to shoot sometyhing full auto.

Top Bottom