• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

I've just acquired a P-64 pistol (in "about as new" condition) & cannot find ANY 9mm MAK hollow-point ammo "in stock" in either SA or Austin.

Does anyone know of a CURRENT "in stock" source??

thanks, satx
    Target Sports

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Good luck with that. I only ever came across hp rounds once when I had my Mak and my pa-63. I believe it was silver bear brand. Had to pickup 750 rounds at a time though.

I've heard of some Winchester metric hp rounds but never have seen them in person. I did get some Winchester metric ball rounds once though.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Actually, now that I'm thinking I had to buy 1000 rounds but a friend took 5 boxes off my hands. What a pal....

Also, in my makarov and in my pa-63, HP wouldn't feed right. I had to modify the feed ramp to a point that brass cases would get a glock bulge in them. Waste of good brass... Keep that in mind. Hornady does make some XTPs bullets in 9x18 caliber (9.2mm). Maybe invest in some brass and dies?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I managed to find 300 90gr Gold Dot bullets a while back in a discount bin at a local shop. Got some Starline brass to load them in.

Added a pic because people have told me they don't exist, Speer never made them.

Last edited:

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Last time I saw the loaded Hornady's was at Bass Pro. I do not know the current stock there, though.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I know that you prefer "local" sources but I can recommend some options.

One of our TGT sponsors, COPES has 9x18 Makarov in stock. They ship fast, have $10 shipping for as much as you want. Ask for "Free 50". They may still ship free for orders over $50.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/9x18-makarov-c-45_114.html

I reload for the Makarov and the PA63. Midway has the brass & bullets for reasonable prices. Please note that the 9x18 does NOT use the same bullet diameter as the 9x19 or the .380.

Those are Kool little pistols and well worth the effort to snag the correct ammunition.

Flash

Last edited:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I carry a P64 (I have several) for EDC and use Hornady Critical Defense. I reload for Makarov, P83, P64, CZ vz 82, FEG PA63 etc. and use cheap Berry Plated or TULA steel case ammo for plinking. I even trim 9X19 NATO brass to 18mm and reform the case to accept .364. (it works just fine)

Unless you just need hollow point for target practice I recommend using Critical Defense for when it is needed and just plink with regular ammo.

(get a Wolfe spring kit and play around with different hammer and barrel springs!!!)

bob

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Try Alamo Ammo on NW Military and West. They carry Hornady Critical Defense for $15 something a box. I shop there for hard to find ammo that I must have now.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    motorcarman; All,

Fwiw, I have a LOT of Tula FMJ ammo for 9x18mm, that I bought for REALLY CHEAP for the little Makarov that I carried "off duty", before my daughter decided to "adopt it".
    (IF you have NO daughters, you are likely NOT familiar with their tendency to decide that "Daddy's things" are freely hers to "adopt".)

When my adult daughter decided that she wanted a pistol & her CHL/LTC, she didn't want "a pistol"; she wanted MY pistol. = Noemi's comment was, "This little pistol is CUTE & way too 'girly' for you to carry. - I think I'll take it home with me."

Note: There is much truth to the old saying that, "A son is yours till he meets his wife BUT a daughter is your problem for the rest of your life." ====> RotflmRao.

THANKS to all. - I found some boxes of Hornady's Critical Defense & have ordered a Wolfe's spring kit for my "new to me toy". = Alamo Ammo has a BUNCH of it.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Buck Nekkid,

YEP. I bought some Eastern European 95 grain steel-case 9x18 FMJ for 6.oo a box at one of the SA gunshows.= Shot FINE in my old MAK for informal range practice. - I'd buy some more boxes at that price if I could.

I shoot JHP exclusively for CC/SELF-defense.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jcrntx,

In the "for what it's worth department" ACADEMY has a goodly pile of MONARCH brand JHP boxes of 50 for 14.88. - I bought 2 yesterday to try out.

Inasmuch as I have a huge pile of 9x19mm "once fired"/range pickup brass & a case trimmer, my brother is sending me a flat-rate box of 95 grain cast bullets for the 9x18, so I'll soon be "fixed up" for plinking/informal practice.
    (one pound of powder will load a HERD of those small-capacity cases & YEP 9x19 cases work FINE, when opened up to take the MAK diameter bullets.)

NOTE: As a result of President ZERO "running his mouth" & the massacre in FL, CLASSIC FIREARMS is "backed up" on shipping everything. - EXPECT 2 weeks plus from ordering to shipping to you.
    Otoh, when I talked to "Sarah" there by phone Saturday, she said that, "We have plenty IF people are patient."
    She also told me that the company is hiring new people, to deal with the "rush" as fast as they can.

yours, satx

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I also saw the abundance at the 410/Perrin beitel store this weekend. Thought about buying some incasr I run across another mak anytime soon

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rp-,

CLASSIC FIREARMS had some Circle-10 Bulgarian Maks the last time that I checked. = Might be worth 5 minute phone call.

I'm thinking of ordering 3-4 more P64 pistols, while they have "unissued"/"as new" examples for a nice price & as "close-range people SAVERS" for the family/farm. = Even the Polish National Police manuals say that this is a DEFENSIVE firearm & that is suitable for defense out to 25M.
    (Beyond that range, MOST thugs, who don't have a long-gun, are essentially INCAPABLE of hitting a human-size target, except by pure accident. - I've investigated cases where the criminal fired AT someone at 6-10 feet & didn't come close to hitting the intended victim.)

ADDENDA: In 1983, when I was stationed at Ft Hood, a "local thug", who was armed with a CHEAP little .32ACP SA (SORRY, I cannot remember the brand), shot at & MISSED an MP from literally "inside arm's reach", shooting "gangsa' style".
    (After he fired the shot, the MP "whacked him up the side of the head" with a long flashlight, ending the "armed confrontation". = Just wasn't the PFC's "day to die", I'd guess.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    No funds... I owned a pa-63 which was my ex wife's gun. Kicked but shot nice. Owned a Chinese mak which was very accurate. Say what you will about the Chinese guns but ive had an SKS and mak that both could shoot competitions.

Then again, I've also shot a bunch that couldn't shoot a rice patty...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rp-,

China-made firearms VARY a GREAT DEAL in quality. = I've had the same experience that you have with them.= Once in South America, I was present during a raid on a drug "warehouse" & where several "as new" AK-47 rifles in 7.62x39mm and a "pallet of ammo" were seized.
    (Inasmuch as the "local police agency" was "rather un-financial", we routinely "released firearms" that were seized to the agency, so that they would be better armed. - About 2 years before, when we arrived "in country", the MOST modern firearm in the agency's inventory was a group of "PRE-Model 10" S&W revolvers in .38-200 caliber, that I think were probably WWII British surplus.)

Thankfully, as the agency planned to issue them to their LEO, the local Guardia Civil commander ordered that they be immediately taken to the pistol range & "test fired". - The results of that "range session" was:
    1. 26 AKs shot VERY well.
    2. 9 AKs were rated "serviceable but barely acceptable in function & accuracy".
    and
    3. 2 of the weapons "failed to fire" at all, despite the attempts by the Range NCO to fire them.
    (One "unserviceable AK was "repaired" & "made functional". The other was determined to be "unrepairable" & usable parts were removed & kept for spares. - The remainder of that one AK was crushed, so that nobody would attempt to repair/use it.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom