• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was going to go shooting today, and boy am I glad I didn't.

I recently replaced the butt stock on my AR and was having a problem with not being able to tighten the stock. While I was working on the gun, I decided to go ahead and install my new Yankee-Hill gas block/flip-sup sight. Of course, this requires you to bang on the rifle to get the original FSP pins out. While I was doing that, the buffer apparently jumped the buffer detent, and the spring got caught up in the BCG and got mangled all to hell and back. I'm REALLY glad I didn't go shooting today, because I would probably never have thought to check that before firing the first shot.

In short, I need a new detent spring (and I'm thinking a new detent just to be on the safe side), but I really don't want to order the damn things on the net. Is there any place in town that sells individual small parts like this?

BTW, I found a "lost parts kit" on the Bushmaster sight that goes for $20 (shipped). Among other parts, It includes two beffer detents and two detent springs. I went ahead and ordered it, but it would still be nice to know if there's a place in town that sells small parts like this.
    Venture Surplus ad

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I called every gun shop in a 30 mile radius of my house, and not a single one has (or will sell me) a buffer detent spring. Looks like I'm waiting on bushmaster...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Midway USA is way faster than Bushmaster. They're probably cheaper too, but shipping seems to always be around $9 unless you go with USPS, then it shouldn't be too bad.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I can't seem to find anything on Midway's site. Nobody but Bushmaster appears to have this kit. I managed to un-mangle the sprint and it appears to be fine, at least to the point that I can reassemble the lower.

ADRidge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Lewisville
    That ****ing spring. I did something similar assembling my first lower.... a guy at the shop I bought my LPK from just ended up giving me one on the sly. You might just try chatting someone up and see if you can get em to donate one to ya.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Check out Alamo Tactical over across from BAMC

They're closed yesterday and today. I gotta say that I'm not impressed with them. I've been to the store, and they're just barely there.

Don's Guns didn't have any, but he said he could make me one.

Powderhorn "doesn't sell parts".

Nagel's didn't have any (and probably never has).

Dury's phones were (and still are) messed up.

Dietz doesn't answer their phone.

I didn't try Texas Guns because they'd probably charge me $20 for the spring (if they even had one).

I didn't try Hoguns because they'd just ignore me until all their buddies left (again, if they even had one).

San Antonio is in dire need of a dedicated AR15 shop.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    They're closed yesterday and today. I gotta say that I'm not impressed with them. I've been to the store, and they're just barely there.

My experience was the same, but since they had just recently moved into their new location when I last went by there, I thought it may have been that.

San Antonio is in dire need of a dedicated AR15 shop.

See the above reference to Dreadnaught Industries. I'm not even an AR guy but if I were (and everyone that I know who is) uses them. I work on Lackland, and anyone who mentions wanting an AR I steer to Alex and Liota. And if I ever get the urge, they would be the first ones I would go to. For about the same price as a vanilla rifle off the shelf at Academy, they can make you a nice, custom AR! In a nutshell, they know their stuff!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, I had to get to the bottom of this, so I stopped by Hoguns on my way home this afternoon.

The truth is Wayne is closing the shop, in about a month or two. He would like to sell it, but for the time being he is inventorying everything. All the firearms were boxed up. He says Chris is still working on guns, and if you need something done which can be done quickly to contact him; but the end is in sight.

Shame, as it is one of the better shops we have. He didn't have a huge inventory, but for work it was probably the best place to go. Still, all the best to Wayne as he steps away from the rat race...

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom