• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    There is a convenience store in Lockhart just as you enter town, coming from Austin. He recently put up both 30-06 and 30-07 signs and they are behind dark front window screens on front of the store. At the main entrance is a black on white sign, very easily visible, that says "unlicensed carry on these premises is punishable by blah,blah ba, etc.". I've asked the guy to remove the 30-06 sign but he refused and told me I could carry there anytime since he knows me, this telling me he knows absolutely Nothing about how the CCL laws work. Any comments?
    Venture Surplus ad

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Lockhart: One of the last places in Texas where Indians captured white settlers. They peeled the skin off the bottom of their feet to keep them from escaping. (That's my comment about Lockhart anyway)....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My comment: Take your money elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Walmart featured in the movie Where the Heart Is (2000) is in Lockhart, Texas! :D

I know verbal notice can be given not to carry, but I doubt it works the other way around. Plus, if something were to occur, would you trust the "guy" (owner? employee?) to testify that you were given consent? What if he is not around? It's a big risk I'd not take...

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    There is a convenience store in Lockhart just as you enter town, coming from Austin. He recently put up both 30-06 and 30-07 signs and they are behind dark front window screens on front of the store. At the main entrance is a black on white sign, very easily visible, that says "unlicensed carry on these premises is punishable by blah,blah ba, etc.". I've asked the guy to remove the 30-06 sign but he refused and told me I could carry there anytime since he knows me, this telling me he knows absolutely Nothing about how the CCL laws work. Any comments?

I would get his permission in writing...

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The Walmart featured in the movie Where the Heart Is (2000) is in Lockhart, Texas! :D

I know verbal notice can be given not to carry, but I doubt it works the other way around. Plus, if something were to occur, would you trust the "guy" (owner? employee?) to testify that you were given consent? What if he is not around? It's a big risk I'd not take...

Actually, here's what the law says:

[FONT]Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:[/FONT]
    [FONT](1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and[/FONT]
    [FONT](2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.[/FONT]
    [FONT](b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.[/FONT]
    [FONT](c) In this section:[/FONT]
    [FONT](1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).[/FONT]
    [FONT](2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).[/FONT]
    [FONT](3) "Written communication" means:[/FONT]
    [FONT](A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or[/FONT]
    [FONT](B) a sign posted on the property that:[/FONT]
    [FONT](i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;[/FONT]
    [FONT](ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and[/FONT]
    [FONT](iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

So to violate 30.06, you must not have consent on the property of the owner, and must be given notice via 30.06.
    In this case, it seems that he has consent to carry there, so he is not violating 30.06, even if he walked past a 30.06 sign. But I would definitely get that consent in writing (or easier, choose another gas station!). [/FONT]

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    He is a really nice guy and because he is from Pakistan he might think putting these signs is gonna protect him from some redneck that just doesn't like folks from the middle-east. I've never spent much money there, but it is very convenient to my home. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for the replys.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    He is a really nice guy and because he is from Pakistan he might think putting these signs is gonna protect him from some redneck that just doesn't like folks from the middle-east. I've never spent much money there, but it is very convenient to my home. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for the replys.
    There is a store here that I used to go to alot. I even worked there stocking coolers and sweeping floors in high school. The owner was Indian and a really nice guy. He posted 06/07. I asked him why and he said he didn't want guns in his store. I politely told him I wouldn't be shopping there anymore and he would loose a lot of business from others. He said we'll see. He took the signs down about 3 months later. When I asked him why, he said I wasn't the only one who stopped coming in and he was loosing business to the store down the street (no signs). Even friends of mine without a LTC won't shop at places with 06/07.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would mention the signs and never go back in.

Convenience and the line I draw in the sand often clash. Amazing how strong that line can be.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

What makes you think he knows nothing about how the "CCL" laws work? He can disallow the general public to carry while allowing certain individuals TO carry. 30.06/.07 were written to allow that.

If he sells alcohol, beer, wine...the unlicensed possession sign is required by law. He can also lawfully post 30.06/.07 signs..

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

The language of 30.06/.07 allows the property owner to give consent to some and no consent to others.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The language of 30.06/.07 allows the property owner to give consent to some and no consent to others.

At that time in the thread, he never said he was the property owner, just some "guy"...

And I still wouldn't trust just a verbal consent notification when there are 30.06 and 30.07 present, what if something happens to the owner and all that is left are the signs and the fact that he was carrying in the store? I'd get something in writing if the owner is willing to make an exception.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    What makes you think he knows nothing about how the "CCL" laws work?

Because it's always a good assumption that the general public doesn't know how anything works if it's not their direct area of expertise. As H.L. Mencken wrote: "No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

Top Bottom