• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Darpa's Self-Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle Scheduled for Next Year | Popular Science

Darpa's Self-Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle Scheduled for Next Year
    By Rebecca Boyle

A sniper crouches near an open window and zooms in on his target, who sits a half-mile away. He peers through a scope and holds his breath, preparing to squeeze the trigger. But it’s windy outside, and he can't afford a miss. What to do?

A new DARPA-funded electro-optical system will calculate the ballistics for him, telling him where to aim and ensuring a perfect shot, no matter the weather conditions.

Lockheed Martin won a $6.9 million contract this week for the second phase of DARPA’s One-Shot system, which will provide direct observations of a target, measure every variable that influences a bullet’s flight, and calculate the aim offset in a sniper’s rifle scope.

During the project’s first phase, which started in 2007, Lockheed developed a down-range system that measured average crosswind; range to target; spotter scope position; air temperature, pressure, and humidity; and more, according to Military Aerospace. Using all those variables, it calculated the ballistics for a .308 bullet at ranges as far as 3,600 feet.

While that’s impressive, the system was too heavy and unwieldy, and it couldn’t be used with standard rifle scopes. The phase two design will be more compact and able to operate in real time and over longer distances.

It will measure atmospheric conditions, account for the weapon’s maximum effective range and include GPS coordinates. It’s also supposed to communicate with the rifle scope, informing the gun itself of the aim point offset and expected crosswind.

Lockheed is supposed to deliver 15 field-testable prototypes by next October.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I guess I am curious how it measures average and expected cross winds. I know that a trained sniper can judge them, so I guess it is possible somehow.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Now all the video game fans will be calling the gun shops for one. "I want the one that works just like in Call of Duty!"

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I've got a problem with that, what happens after 3600ft.? A mile is 5280ft.
    The system would work alright for urban environments for something like a group marksman, but a direct sniper application needs to still be trained the hell out of for longer shots than this can compensate for.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    The system would work alright for urban environments for something like a group marksman, but a direct sniper application needs to still be trained the hell out of for longer shots than this can compensate for.

Isn't that well beyond the military's stated max effective range for that cartridge, thereby making it impressive?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

A mile is not a normal engagement distance for 99% of the calibers in the hands of snipers today. You are looking at a .338 Lapua or .50 BMG at that distance and alot of good shooting.

The key here is 1,200 yards, which just so happens to coincide with the NATO limit set for .300 Win Mag, which is what the M24 SWS is getting switched back into from 7.62 NATO.

Frankly, I think we should move to .338 Lapua if we are going to develop a system to support the caliber. You'd get similar service life, have interchangeable ammo sources with more NATO countries, and you'd have significantly better down range performance against soft and even lightly armored / soft cover targets. The effective range of .338 Lapua is easily 1 Mile. Making longer shots would require less hold over, less dope change, and all with a greater hit chance compared to .308 or .300 Win Mag due to reduced windage.

I don't understand the aversion to .338 Lapua, it has to boil down to the lack of funds to rearm the sniper program. That's why they keep rebuilding the damn M24s and M40s.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom