• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I may catch a lot of flak over this but here goes. Ladies and gentleman. I Recently traded for three different rifles, not all at the same time. They all had scopes which I wanted to remove. After busted screws, driver tips,small propane torch, drill press, I was able to remove them.
    The point I am so desperately trying to make is, you dont have to use Locktite on the screws to mount a scope. I you are firing something large enough to back out screws and mounting bolts you dont nee a scope, you need a spotter.
    It only takes about 15 ft lbs to properly secure a base and rings. Make sure the threads are clean and use properly fitted tools.
    Thanks for listening and for the recored I am not b****ing, I am venting.

Be safe.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I use a lil bit of clear fingernail polish over the screw after installing. Have not had a problem removing screws.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Loctite fine if you use the right one!

I used Blue Loctite to mount a tactical light & laser on my AR15 Quad Rail. I removed them a couple of months later and found rust on the screws from the water based Loctite........and I shook it up real good before using. I'm done with Loctite!

Okie556

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Bingo!!! Clear fingernail polish is a great sealant. All you need to soften it is a drop of acetone
    You dont have to glue screws in if you make sure the threads are clean and use a little torque to seat them.:patriot:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Im not sure what inch pounds are but I will agree with you that it doesnt take much.

1 ft lb is the amount of torque you'd get from using a one foot long wrench and applying 1 lb of force to the end of it. 1 in lb is the same, only you're using a 1 inch long bar. Basically, it's 1/12th as much torque.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I cant imagine using a 1 inch long bar to torque something. Can you you translate 40 inch pounds into ft. lbs??? would that be 2.5 ft. lbs?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't remember. My torque wrench is digital, so it'll do in/lb, ft/lb, Nm and degrees of rotation. Conversions? I ain't gotta convert!

I think it would be 40/12 though, or 3.3 repeating. Shorten the lever to 1/12 the size, you get 1/12 the force.

You wouldn't use a one inch bar, per se, though I often simply hold the head of my ratchet which effectively gives me a 1" or smaller lever to torque with when I don't want to break things. Screwdriver handles are another sub-inch lever for you to turn with.

It's just another way of calibrating for smaller things and finer units.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    That makes my brain hurt. My math teacher in H.S. always told me I would need math in life, but, I never would have figured it'd come to this.
    HAHA!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is some of the stuff I have to deal with as a mechanic. ;) It wasn't too long ago that school counselors would push the ne'er-do-wells and underachievers toward this profession... I still bump into younger guys who are obviously there because of that.

They don't do well in this biz in this day and age.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I don't remember. My torque wrench is digital, so it'll do in/lb, ft/lb, Nm and degrees of rotation. Conversions? I ain't gotta convert!

I have Snapon wrench like that and love it.That thing was such a good investment , saves so much time too.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    the only time i use a torque wrench is for mechanic work, especially engine work and or a torque driver for gun work. Other than that, I use a standard ratchet. I got a snap on as well, its an investment, but its a good one.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have Snapon wrench like that and love it.That thing was such a good investment , saves so much time too.

Yep. The TechWrench. It saved me from re-doing a head gasket recently, because the total torque readout showed me that one of the bolts wasn't holding up the same as the rest after the second 90* pull.

Top Bottom