• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Recently, I have had the opportunity to kill a couple good-sized boars that were out doing what they do, rooting fields. I am continually amazed to see what sorts of damage hogs can do and how quickly they can do it.

This first hog was a big boar in a field that I had not been too for a while. The wind was not favorable, but as I watched the hog and considering my options to make the approach, I watched him toss sod and grass into the air multiple times. After I killed the hog, I got a good look at some of the damage he had done, not just with making some holes in the ground, but laying it bare. Note, this first video involves the testing of some new bullets and a lot of necropsy images...

Military Camp

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There's some disagreement about whether you need a hunting license for piggie hunting. Friends have been pushing me to hunt their land for hogs and I finally got my license .... required or not. I'm 70 and the license cost $7.

I settled on one of my Marlin 1895 lever action 45-70 rifles to do the deed. Been told that it's a sin to put a scope on a lever action rifle but that was surely spoken by a person who didn't have cataracts.......snicker.

I'm tired of eating chicken! I'll get a small freezer and get after the pork!

Flash

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Really like your videos. To the point with what everyone watches thermal hunting videos for. No 10 minutes of driving around in a Polaris.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Recent effort to use poison on the Hogs, looks like it got killed in Austin, good hear as poison kills a lot of other stuff also. It was said the hog problem in Tex is the worst in the US and has become a major problem. All this begs the question, if the hog problem is so bad, then why do many of the ranchers want to charge in the $0000's to go hunt their hogs.

I did score a hunt for $250 that gave you a meal and a Polaris, never saw a hog, but never saw a hog anywhere. But they sure lived there, fresh droppings and wallows. I knew something was wrong, so I told the owner to sit tight I will be back and I headed off on foot and yea, found the problem. I get back and tell him, you know you have about 200 feet of fence that is completely down. He seemed shocked and said no, so we drove over...I said they live on your ranch and use the expressway to visit other ranches where they forage.

Anyhow got a good meal but nothing else and not even a come back I will make it up to ya...so he got about $1000 bucks to ride some folks around on a polaris and feed them a meal...maybe that was the goal!

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Your experience is the best example of hog hunting I have seen posted in a long time. Most hunts are 50-50 at best unless you have days of camera footage to get an idea of what's around. In that case, it might be 55 percent to your advantage. Most everyone posts the successful hunt stories, but truth is for every successful hunt, you might have 3 or 4 that came up empty. People think that hog hunting is easy, and the solution is nothing more than greedy ranch owners opening the place up to shoot the hogs standing around waiting to get shot. If that were the case, their wouldn't be a problem. Pigs do whatever they want, and don't wait around for you to shoot them. Real pig hunting is driving around and getting lucky enough to come across them at the right time. The other option is to sit by the feeder with the same anxiety you get when are waiting for your wife to exit the shoe store at the mall.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Two friends, Jim and Matt have about 60 wooded acres apiece. Jim has a motion powered camera on his place and I saw the latest chip flicks yesterday. The motion sensor is triggered and runs the camera for 10 seconds. Then it resets. Guys, it looked like the Republican Convention! Jim and his son went out to bust two hogs of considerable size a few nights ago.

My conclusion? If you aren't seeing piggies out in the woods, it's because the animals are getting smarter and really clever at hiding out!

Flash

Last edited:

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Your experience is the best example of hog hunting I have seen posted in a long time. Most hunts are 50-50 at best unless you have days of camera footage to get an idea of what's around. In that case, it might be 55 percent to your advantage. Most everyone posts the successful hunt stories, but truth is for every successful hunt, you might have 3 or 4 that came up empty. People think that hog hunting is easy, and the solution is nothing more than greedy ranch owners opening the place up to shoot the hogs standing around waiting to get shot. If that were the case, their wouldn't be a problem. Pigs do whatever they want, and don't wait around for you to shoot them. Real pig hunting is driving around and getting lucky enough to come across them at the right time. The other option is to sit by the feeder with the same anxiety you get when are waiting for your wife to exit the shoe store at the mall.

Actually, I like hunting multiple properties in a night. As I will be faster moving than the hogs, my chances of encountering a hog is increased. Hunting with my buddy who has several properties, we have yet to have a blank night (second video is an example). Hogs gotta be somewhere and sooner or later, you will find them if you are persistent. So it isn't really so much as luck and it is an issue of statistical sampling.

My properties don't have that sort of luxury and are either feeder-based forested properties with limited views (my own lands) or are spot and stalk properties with views ranging from limited to extensive (first video above and also this video from Wednesday...

I don't know that the hogs are getting any smarter. They are just hogs and they are very good at being hogs.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    These guys were eating the wheat planted for the cattle. Note in the first video that there is a second hog that I bypass because the wind isn't right. I think he is the hog I nailed two nights later in the same field.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friends Jim and Karen have so many hogs on their property that the motion camera is as crowded as an airline boarding area! They have a feeder set up and the entire area where the feeder is, looks like it has been turned over with a shovel. Man those critters can make a mess!

Friend Bonnie and I are hooking up into their private food chain. We will help butcher the animals and get our share in frozen or freeze dried vacuum sealed packs. Stories about the crap being put into our store bought food are unnerving so we're dropping out! (At least partially). The meat, done in a crock pot is delicious!

I sent for a beautiful set of Victorinox butcher knives and Bonnie is researching aprons.

Flash

Top Bottom