Join TexasGunTalk

Long question

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Paul455, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Paul455

Paul455 New Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Houston
    I got a medical green card in California over a year and a half ago. It has been expired for 14 months. Can I ever buy a gun again?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    What is a medical green card? Is that the license to weed?

If so, I have no idea on that one, probably best to consult a lawyer.

majormadmax likes this.
  3. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    If it is a card for legal marijuana, I don't think so as per the Texas Department of Public Safety (link below), for the purchase of a handgun, a person is not qualified under federal and state law to purchase a handgun if he or she:
    1. Has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
    2. Is a fugitive from justice;
    3. Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
    4. Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
    5. Is an illegal alien or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the united States under a nonimmigrant visa;
    6. Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
    7. Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
    8. Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or a child of such intimate partner;
    9. Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm;
    10. A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm. Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.
    In addition, an applicant must not be ineligible to possess or transfer a weapon under Texas Penal Code §46.04 and Texas Penal Code §46.06.

Source: http://www.state.tx.us/txdps/chl/qualifyInfo.html

As for what the Federal standard is for "unlawful user," question 11.e. on the Form 4473 states...

4. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Also, how can you have gotten a card a year ago that has been expired for over 16 months?!?

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Not that I care, but , #3 , as highlighted and quoted says "is".
    Not "was".
    Personally, I see a difference.

dogbone, ZX9RCAM and Younggun like this.
  6. busykngt

busykngt Well-Known

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    What a great FIRST post, Paul! Feel free to introduce yourself over at the ‘introduction thread’.

7. dapakattack

dapakattack Member

Apr 11, 2013
    DFW Area
    MadMax, he got his "green card" over 18 months ago (year and 1/2), but it has been expired for 14 months. So he had his "green card" for a little more than 4 months.

8. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    But you bein a Commiefornia Stoner, we might not be too friendly.

9. pronstar

pronstar Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Good read on how CA MM records are kept.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMJ/comments/4g5ko3/does_a_california_medical_marijuana_card_show_up/

Not sure what a card is, CA law just requires a doctor-provided printed script and ID. It makes no mention of a card.

From what I've been told, most docs literally hand-write the script, and only the script number is recorded.

But as with anything, privacy is only as good as its ability to keep snooping eyes out.

YMMV
    And don't lie on .gov forms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Paul455

Paul455 New Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Houston
    Thanks.