• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WARHAWK357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    depends on the style of 303. Mine is the air force version (I think) the wood stock stops about half way up the barrel and really reduces the weight so more wham. But the trigger is sooooo sweet. And dude you could really whack the hell out of a guys head with that butt plate. Ohh and really have only fired one 30-06 so not able to give a good comparison on the difference. But if you torch it off send me a line and let me know what you think.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I was investigating building myself a long range rifle, came to find out that a Remington 700 action, with a modification to the bolt face for the extractor, can accommodate the .338 LM rather well, and a chambered and threaded bull profile barrel for the 700 action in .338 is pretty cheap. You could end up spending more on the scope than on the rifle.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I was investigating building myself a long range rifle, came to find out that a Remington 700 action, with a modification to the bolt face for the extractor, can accommodate the .338 LM rather well, and a chambered and threaded bull profile barrel for the 700 action in .338 is pretty cheap. You could end up spending more on the scope than on the rifle.

That is a very good idea. How detailed do you have to go into to modifying the bolt, we don't have but a few gunsmiths in this area and not sure about how good machinsts they are?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of 6.5 callibers I've read that 6.5 Grendal is supposed to be an accurate long range round also.

It is... that whole family of 6mm to 6.5mm bullets exhibit good performance. You can get more stable grain weights with a good cartridge behind it. Just match the load to the barrel.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

The only down side to the LM is that you have alot of ammo cost. The brass is really expensive since it's not widely available and it uses twice the powder of a .260 or .308 load. In todays economy that will add up really fast while you are trying to work out a load.

Not too sure on barrel life, but .308 tends to be pretty soft on barrels compared to most of the magnum loads. Kinda a moot point for most people though, especially if you are building off a cheaper platform (Remington / Savage) versus something proprietary like a Sako TRG.

What base action are you using? Is it the common two lug bolt? Any long term issues with stress on that action?

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    That is a very good idea. How detailed do you have to go into to modifying the bolt, we don't have but a few gunsmiths in this area and not sure about how good machinsts they are?

The barrels I priced were from Shillen, the modification is to open up the bolt face to fit .338 and I think people were installing AR-15 type extractors on it. I decided I had too many unfinished builds to go any further on it

The only down side to the LM is that you have alot of ammo cost. The brass is really expensive since it's not widely available and it uses twice the powder of a .260 or .308 load. In todays economy that will add up really fast while you are trying to work out a load.

Yea it's not cheap, but I make as much as I did in today's economy as I did in yesterday's economy and it goes just as far. It's a far better round for 1km shots than .308, but it's not near the price of .50BMG.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yea it's not cheap, but I make as much as I did in today's economy as I did in yesterday's economy and it goes just as far. It's a far better round for 1km shots than .308, but it's not near the price of .50BMG.

Not the income that's the problem, it's getting the materials, and at a normal price. You pretty much have to rob someone for primers, and finding certain powders is difficult. Primers is a given issue for any useable caliber, but the powder certainly will go alot further in a smaller cartridge.

I'm sure it will lapse in the next few months, but currently it's a jungle.

I agree on the fact that .338 Lapua is superior at 1km, but the OP is looking for good performance out to 600m which is well within .260 / .308 territory. For that extra push he could easily go with .300 Win Mag if need be.

I will say, .338 Lapua Mag would be pretty bitchin'

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    My wife, son, and I were shooting out to 1025 meters last summer with my .308 Savage 110 FP. It has the accu-trigger and I put a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T Target scope on it (the scope cost more than the rifle!). I adjusted the scope for the rams at 500 meters, then let my son and wife shoot (benched rested and bipod). It was rare for them to miss. The gun and scope combination was very good. The only drawback was that the scope would only adjust out to 1000 yards. For longer distances I need a different scope. The white bison (1025 meters) was easy to hit because it was so large. Here are a few pics of the shoot.
    [url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/IMG_0871-1.jpg[/URL]

In this next pic you can see the white bison half way up the mountain to the left (and down) of the ram sign.
    [url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/IMG_1032.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/IMG_0861.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/IMG_0861.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/IMG_0814.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/IMG_0812.jpg[/URL]

I have put a Choate target stock on it since, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet.

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/SNIPER_PIC_ODGREEN.jpg[/URL]

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom