• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Thinking about building a long range bolt gun leaning towards 7 mm Remmington magnum but not sure what action to start with want to know what anyone here has used and feedback.
    Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    How long is long range? I personally would recommend a .308 for anything out to about 800 yards, and a .300 Win Mag out to 1000. Use a 175 gr. to 210 gr. bullet depending on loading.

What is your budget?

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The Remington 700 action is by far the most popular but not the best action for such a build. True long range shooters 800+ yards favor Winchester, Mauser, Sako and Tikka actions over the Rem.

The Rem can be made to work (just ask the Military or a recently deceased Jihadist) and parts are readily available. It depends on what kind of performance you are looking for and how thick your wallet is.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I will second what Texas1911 has to say. I will however add that in addition to max range, you will also want to take into consideration what youre planning on hitting at those ranges and what effect youre wanting.

My personal fav is 308. Ammo is readily available in a lot of match and hunting loads. Its a mild round to begin with, but out of a heavier gun its very comfortable to shoot. If youre punching paper youll be ok out to 1000.

As for the action. Remington 700 is probably the most widely used platform with LOTS of spare parts. If you have the bidget and want to go truly custom Surgeon Actions have a good following. GAP also has their own custom design, the Templar that they build on.

If youre a tinkerer vs. gunsmith, a Savage may be a good option. They are prety acurate out of the box. Cost bunches less than most others out there. They have a decent selection of accessories. And re-barrelyin is a do it yourself job with the barrel nut design. Just nead a good set of headpace gauges and the ability to use them and a torque wrench.

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    If you are talking long range as in 600-1000yds, look into the 260 Remington. It is better than the 308 or 300 win mag at those ranges thanks to the long, slender wind bucking bullets. Don't expect screaming velocities, but it retains its velocity and doesn't drift nearly as much as the .30cal bullets.

I have been drooling over a Hill Country Rifle in 260 Rem.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    mcss383 makes a good point re the 260 especially in the Ackely Improved version. Terry Cross has had good success with the round in competition and builds a mean rifle. Good combo if youre a reloader, but finding commercial ammo is not possible to my knowledge.

As for the 338, I had an opportunity to get behind a TGR42 in 338LM. It was fun to shoot and I have drooled at the concept of getting one for myself. However, when you look at the economics of it its expensive to get into and then feed. Also, unless youre going after some seriously hardened targets or regularly reaching out past 1000 its overkill.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you are talking long range as in 600-1000yds, look into the 260 Remington. It is better than the 308 or 300 win mag at those ranges thanks to the long, slender wind bucking bullets. Don't expect screaming velocities, but it retains its velocity and doesn't drift nearly as much as the .30cal bullets.

I concur, the .260 seems to be a growing trend. If you have a good budget and want to reload then I'd look into it for sure.

RamseyRed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008

I had a 260 Rem AI built last year. After prepping cases, fire formed 260 Rem cases as follows: Rem Magnum primers; 16grs to 16½-¾grs of UNUQUE; Cream-of-Wheat or similar cereal to fill case to where straight neck starts and top off with Crisco. The Crisco is to keep the Cream-of-Wheat from falling out when loading or tipping a case over.

44.5 grs of H4250, Berger 140 grs VLD bullets consistently shoots ½-¾ MOA at 200 yards. I have not moved back to a longer range yet as access to that distance is somewhat restricted on our range.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Sorry had computer problems but probally out to around 600 yds max not many long distance places up here but I've been looking does anyone have any experiance with the REM 798 its a mauser 98 var. buy remington thinking maybe .30-06 since I allready have an older one I just would rather keep it as a safe gun.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sorry had computer problems but probally out to around 600 yds max not many long distance places up here but I've been looking does anyone have any experiance with the REM 798 its a mauser 98 var. buy remington thinking maybe .30-06 since I allready have an older one I just would rather keep it as a safe gun.

600 yards is pretty open for caliber choice. You'll want to use a heavier than normal grain weight for a .22 caliber like .223 Remington or .22-250, but either could be a viable choice for just having fun. Just remember that the heavy grain weight translates to a fast twist in .223.

I'm a fan of .243 / 6mm bullets as well as .30 caliber stuff. I personally would rather load out a .308 rather than .30-06. The .308 is basically a more modern .30-06 anyways.

What is your budget for the complete setup? Are you buying glass? Do you reload? These are the most important questions that are left out of the equation at the moment.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Buget depends on if i could possibly find a longer range then I might spend the coin on a higher class action and as far as glass I'm looking into nightforce optics and yes I do reload.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    At that range, I would go with a 308. It is easy to load for, easy to find quality ammo for and easy to shoot.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Buget depends on if i could possibly find a longer range then I might spend the coin on a higher class action and as far as glass I'm looking into nightforce optics and yes I do reload.

.308 is a core standard, but since you reload you might want to opt for a .260 Remington (aka 6.5-08 A-Square). They are easy to work with since the parent case is the .308 Winchester; it's just necked down to the smaller bullet. If you want some extra push you can always Ackley Improve the shoulder, just have the chamber cut to a .260 AI chamber and fire form the brass. Since it's a .308 case, you just run a medium length action.

Nightforce is a good solution. A number of long-range competition shooters I know run Nightforce on their guns.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    This may be a stupid question but what is the major advantage of .308 over .30-06 besides the availlibilty of factory loaded ammo as far as I can tell ballistics are pretty much the same with the same grain bullets.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    This may be a stupid question but what is the major advantage of .308 over .30-06 besides the availlibilty of factory loaded ammo as far as I can tell ballistics are pretty much the same with the same grain bullets.

.308 allows you to use a shorter action, which means you can maintain your cheek weld when you cycle the bolt. It ensures you are looking through the scope the same every time.

WARHAWK357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You guys will think I'm nuts but I love my 303 British Infield. It kicks like a mule but can do some good distance. I put six out of 10 on a 55 gallon barrel at about 550 to 600 meters. Its a good solid gun easy to care for and clean not to expensive but its a bitch to find good original mags and there not cheap. I found a good one at the Gun show in Dallas several years ago and paid 50 bucks for it and have not seen another good one since. The ammo can be a lil hard to find some times but it's not been to much more than some of the other more modern ammo. Most people would not want to hunt with mine on the long range because I have not and will not put a scope on it. It's just to damn pretty of a gun to put a scope on it and the vernier site does good enough for me.

Top Bottom