• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    I have a couple of pups and I was wondering if there is such a thing as long term dog food, you know like 25 year shelf life like of of my people food I have stashed?

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    I have the Food Savor vacuum bag system... couldn't I just vacuum pack our pups normal dry dog food and then store the vacuum packed bags in doors where it's in a climate controlled area?

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    I could even put it in the freezer.... as long as we have electricity.

After the dog food ran out, I can always go varmint hunting for the pups to have food
    2thumbs-up.gif

gll

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    For long term storage of 'off the shelf' dog food, canned is the best bet... good long after the best buy dates, just like most human canned foods.

Dry kibble will go rancid even in the freezer, just not as fast... It's more about the types of fats than the storage.

I'm sure there are some high dollar alternatives, but I went with canned food for my pet preps.

On the cat side, I've been buying up canned tuna. HEB has several times offered free pouch albacore with purchase of their canned tuna. I've bought a bunch!

Canned tuna will last "forever" and I can eat the cat and the tuna if it comes to that.

Seems HEB has a surplus of pouch tuna with near expiration BB dates that they are distributing either by the "buy this, get this free" or through food pantries.

Top Bottom