• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    I have a couple of pups and I was wondering if there is such a thing as long term dog food, you know like 25 year shelf life like of of my people food I have stashed?
    Target Sports

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    I have the Food Savor vacuum bag system... couldn't I just vacuum pack our pups normal dry dog food and then store the vacuum packed bags in doors where it's in a climate controlled area?

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    I could even put it in the freezer.... as long as we have electricity.

After the dog food ran out, I can always go varmint hunting for the pups to have food
    2thumbs-up.gif

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    For long term storage of 'off the shelf' dog food, canned is the best bet... good long after the best buy dates, just like most human canned foods.

Dry kibble will go rancid even in the freezer, just not as fast... It's more about the types of fats than the storage.

I'm sure there are some high dollar alternatives, but I went with canned food for my pet preps.

On the cat side, I've been buying up canned tuna. HEB has several times offered free pouch albacore with purchase of their canned tuna. I've bought a bunch!

Canned tuna will last "forever" and I can eat the cat and the tuna if it comes to that.

Seems HEB has a surplus of pouch tuna with near expiration BB dates that they are distributing either by the "buy this, get this free" or through food pantries.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Freeze dried dog food will stay stable stored correctly for years, but it is very expensive.

To @Sam Colt s suggestion of buying a freeze dryer, there is only one place in the country that makes / sells home use units. Your results will be 50/50 on whether or not you get a working machine, and they totally suck at customer service.

Sam has one and it works great, my $4200 experience with them sucked so much I just returned the unit and got a refund. Broke after the first batch of freeze dried food I made.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    What I would do is to always keep 2 spare bags and rotate them out. If SHTF so bad that 2 40lb bags run out, then the dogs become a food source.

We have enough food for the family for over a year, but only 4 to 6 weeks of spare dog food.

Reactions: gll

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    So...Most dogs don't make it past 12 years. Why buy food that's going to last him 25 years?

One thing I do is I keep old frozen food off to the side for the dogs. Or left overs I don't want, I freeze em for the dogs. If the world goes to hell...Dogs eat what I eat.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ah man, that;s cold!

I'd go hunt varmints before I'd eat my dog.

Most dogs are great alarm systems too, so they are more than just pets.
    I plan on hunting varmints too, but if push came to shove and the food supply was dwindling, and the varmints weren't enough to sustain the family and the dogs, then it's not going to look good for their outcome.

Reactions: gll

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    If you have a terrier, they might could take care of themselves. When I lived in the country for several years, my Jack Russell used to kill squirrels, mice, birds, snakes, and even a possum and leave them at the back door for me to see when I got home from work. My current shepherds, not so much.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    My dog eats a 30 lb bag a month. I bought 12 bags of food a year ago. I keep buying a bag a month but swap out the an old bag each month. That's about all I will commit to him at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Since my dog has started to have early renal failure, I've been making her plain chicken, rice, and vegetables. The 25lb bags of rice store a long time already. Easy enough to can some unseasoned chicken and veg for her.

There's been a time or two where I've sprinkled a little Tony's on her food and ate it myself, so dual purpose rations :laughing:

Top Bottom