• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK I had to share this. I told my wife and kids last night.. but they just looked at me like... "why do we care?". I ranged my 18in gong to 1345yrds yesterday evening. I only got 3 hits outta 20 shooting factor hornady 147g match. The wind sure does become a BIG factor at this distance. The 3 hits i did get were a 10in spread. So i'm happy with that. I gotta work on getting comfortable shooting prone. I haven't found my sweet spot yet. I'm getting pressure (too much support) in my left shoulder and after 10 rounds it gets weak and slight shakiness. Not sure if any of ya'll shoot long-range?? But I just wanted to share.
    Hurley's Gold

Attachments

• 1345yrds.jpg
      1345yrds.jpg
      252.4 KB · Views: 103

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Tell more about the rifle and scope. That's not bad shooting. I'm still limited to 500 yds. When I get my technique down to having consistency at 500 I'll find some longer ranges. Right now I'm not doing anything but reloading. Fair weather shooter here...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, there's a few stuck in the long range money pit.

I prefer prone shooting to bench shooting. Far more stable that way.

Try adjusting your bipod height. I've found having the rifle at the right height makes a big difference in how much stress I have on my shoulders.

PS: I'm no long range expert. But it's the part of shooting that I've stuck with after sifting through handguns, ARs, etc. Something about having time to think you missed before seeing a hit, and hearing it a couple seconds later.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tell more about the rifle and scope. That's not bad shooting. I'm still limited to 500 yds. When I get my technique down to having consistency at 500 I'll find some longer ranges. Right now I'm not doing anything but reloading. Fair weather shooter here...

I'm running a Savage LRP that's threaded for the omega 300. A matthew's kydex check piece. Harris 6-9 bi-pod. I thoroughly enjoy this rifle!
    Scope is a Burris xtr2 5-25x50 scr moa illuminated. I dialed up to the max 39moa and held over 5moa to get there. Been thinking about canting my base to get a little more out of it.

Clearly I can tell though. I need to become a wind reading master. West Texas wind sucks.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, there's a few stuck in the long range money pit.

I prefer prone shooting to bench shooting. Far more stable that way.

Try adjusting your bipod height. I've found having the rifle at the right height makes a big difference in how much stress I have on my shoulders.

PS: I'm no long range expert. But it's the part of shooting that I've stuck with after sifting through handguns, ARs, etc. Something about having time to think you missed before seeing a hit, and hearing it a couple seconds later.

I like prone because I can carry out my rifle mat and throw it down and shoot anywhere I prefer.

I will definitely play with the bipod height. I gotta figure out where and why i'm loading my left shoulder too much. Guess I need to practice on the living room floor. Much cheaper that way.

I'm a long term lrp shooter. Ever since I started shooting suppressed... I can't get enough of long range.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Where is this range?
    The times I've been on projects around Snyder, I couldn't find a range.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My in-laws have some land outside of Fluvanna that I have targets scattered around on. There are no good ranges around Snyder area. Pretty much gotta find some private property.
    Kinda what I figured.
    Now I'm really glad you're here.
    Heh

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kinda what I figured.
    Now I'm really glad you're here.
    Heh

:welcome:

I've been pondering making a pitch to my inlaws to making a gun range someplace. It's a big possibility. But I currently have a 4yr old, 2yr old and a 1yr old. So my time very erratic.

Anyone is invited to come shoot out this way. I take anyone that is safe and respectful. Oh... and brings me cold beer:banana:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    :welcome:

I've been pondering making a pitch to my inlaws to making a gun range someplace. It's a big possibility. But I currently have a 4yr old, 2yr old and a 1yr old. So my time very erratic.

Anyone is invited to come shoot out this way. I take anyone that is safe and respectful. Oh... and brings me cold beer:banana:
    That might get you a lot of company. Nice shooting.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you use a laser range finder to range the target and if so what model was it?

Sure do. Sig's Kilo 2000 I'm happy with it for $500. It gets persnickety past 1400yrds. I was happy it picked up on the 18in gong at 1345yrds though. Longest it's ranged was 1700yrds off a big reflective rock. I compare with google earth also just for grins.

Top Bottom