• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    When I was in grade school, we would have balloon day. Each kid was given a single helium filled balloon, we would put our name in a card along with school name and contact info for the school. The card would be attached to the string, and we would let them loose all at one time. The kid whose ballon was reported from the farthest location would be treated like a celebrity by the rest of the kids for a brief time. Wouldnt that be something if the mil shot down some kids school project?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    When I was in grade school, we would have balloon day. Each kid was given a single helium filled balloon, we would put our name in a card along with school name and contact info for the school. The card would be attached to the string, and we would let them loose all at one time. The kid whose ballon was reported from the farthest location would be treated like a celebrity by the rest of the kids for a brief time. Wouldnt that be something if the mil shot down some kids school project?
    I remember doing that in grade school. I was surprised that it made it to Missouri from California.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Probably a good guess, and makes me wonder if they'd have to get into US/Canada territorial waters to insert into the jet stream.
    It would seem that our defense experts have no idea.

The Japanese balloon bombs in WWII were launched from Honshu and reached the continental US - and they were made of mulberry paper and paste. It's not any kind of stretch for a higher-altitude balloon made of more durable modern materials to be launched from coastal China and take the same route. Coming closer to launch it wouldn't give them any advantage.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    Damn it, now that's funny! You gotta quit making me laugh, makes it tough to get to sleep! Lol!

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I lived in the country and found at least 3 balloons like that. One I sent down to our office in NYC and had them mail it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    pic509901.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Ya gotta love it!

Whelp, I was close…

“There were 10 of us to start, aged 11 years old and up, kids, their parents and friends, some licensed in Amateur Radio some having an interest in science and engineering,” according to the website. “We met monthly to research and report and had our first launch on September 25th 2021.”

Reactions: gll
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom