• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Can't help wondering if it was a trial run for airborne distribution. Kinda like 'small pox blankets'. Very suspicious, but I used to work for the gov't too.
    After Covid, I'm surprised that it took this long for people to start wondering that. I didn't post it but it was one of my first thoughts.
    If nothing else, China proved one thing I have been saying all along.
    A bio weapon does NOT have to kill of large amounts of people to be effective. It just needs to cause enough caos to disrupt normal operations of government and infrastructure and the economy. Exactly what Covid has done for the last 3 years.
    Is there anyone hear stupid enough to think China has stopped doing that type research? Ot makes me wonder just what that RESEARCH balloon was researching????

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Other tidbits coming in are there were at least 12 planes airborne over target area at time of shootdown from AF, Navy and CG. F-22 was also traveling at 950+ mph (mach 1.3) and shot from 5 miles according to audio and missile made a 6k climb. F-22 had to get down to 25K for refuel right after shot.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    lego_spyBalloon.jpg

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Didn’t know the F-22 could not cold cue the 9X as it does not use the JHMCS. Thought that had been resolved years ago.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Didn’t know the F-22 could not cold cue the 9X as it does not use the JHMCS. Thought that had been resolved years ago.

I still don't understand the Air Force's reluctance to use JHMCS in the F-22. It's in use in F-16s and F-15's (and an even more capable helmet mounting cueing system is in the F-35), and F-22 pilots wear the same helmet that was worn in the late 80s. Not having it really takes out half of the AIM-9X's advantages with losing the high off-boresight targeting ability.

There are photos of F-22 pilots wearing JHMCS helmets...but other than test flights they don't seem to have been adopted.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I still don't understand the Air Force's reluctance to use JHMCS in the F-22…
    Integration issues. Cockpit/canopy size/shape are a factor as is the ability to map the helmet to the cockpit. Thales has a different HMD that was much more svelte and even the photos of that show a snug fit. Whether the mapping issues were also apparent with the Thales HMD is beyond my knowledge.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have seen photos of F-22 using the Scorpion helmet, but not the JHMCS. Drive says JHMCS is too big

For perspective, the canopy rails on the F-22 are much lower than on other fighters, relative to the pilot’s seated height. It’s hard to tell that from most of the public photos, but I remember a USAF F-22 two patcher talking about it at Eglin. He said that was actually a big deal: instead of just being able to looking out the canopy, you could essentially look out and down the side of the aircraft which really changed some things in the visual fight.

Reactions: gll

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    For perspective, the canopy rails on the F-22 are much lower than on other fighters, relative to the pilot’s seated height. It’s hard to tell that from most of the public photos, but I remember a USAF F-22 two patcher talking about it at Eglin. He said that was actually a big deal: instead of just being able to looking out the canopy, you could essentially look out and down the side of the aircraft which really changed some things in the visual fight.

I'd say the winner in that area has to be the F-16. From inside the cockpit you can't really even see the airplane unless you look behind you, and the canopy is shaped so the pilot can lean over and look down quite easily. The Raptor looks to have excellent visibility, but I'm not sure any fighter can come close to the view from a Viper.

Full disclosure, I've sat in the cockpit of an F-16, but not an F-22...and I have no doubt the F-22 pilot has much more in the way of overall situational awareness considering the sheer amount of information available to him.

f-16.jpg f22.jpg

f16_10.jpg 22.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'd say the winner in that area has to be the F-16.

Concur.

The audience was a bunch of of Eagle drivers who thought the 33d was going to get the Raptor. I left there in May of 2001 if that gives you a better idea of the context. I don’t think it was Steve Rainey who spoke, I think it was the CTF commander.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, if they ever get the helmet vision system working, the pilot is supposed to be able to see through the aircraft in any direction. So theoretically even the hump-backed C model will still have unobstructed vision.

The last technical problem I saw with that was only during very low illum conditions.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The last technical problem I saw with that was only during very low illum conditions.

I can't remember the last update I read on it, I just remember I haven't seen any articles titled "At Last! The F-35's Super Visibility Helmet Is Fully Operational!" yet. Ambitious technology, and the fighter's not 'crippled' by any means with its current capability, but eventually I hope they get the last bugs fixed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom