Target Sports

Looking for a 9mm or semiauto handgun help !!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stiffler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    el paso
    Im new to this forum and i am looking for a 9mm or semiauto handgun to buy in the el paso area or close by. Want to do a private sale ftf deal because i am 20 yoa and cant from a ffl. Looking to spend $200 to 400 . Let me know wht you guys got thanks

Let me explain a little before i start getting looked down on lol. I have been searching for a handgun to add to my shotgun collection and am just looking for a clean private sale deal totally legal. I dont want people to think that i am some bad kid looking for a hand gun for the wrong reasons. I have been around firearms all my life and am a responsible young man just looking to have fun in my hobby.

Stiffler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    el paso
    Illegal? Not even go check texas laws

18 or older to buy long guns, 21 for handguns from ffl retail dealers
    18 or older from private sales.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Illegal? Not even go check texas laws

18 or older to buy long guns, 21 for handguns from ffl retail dealers
    18 or older from private sales.

You are correct sir.

Forget the $200.00 price. The reason I say that, is because it will probably be junk. You can probably find a Glock 17 or 19 in that range ($400.00). Possibly a Sig. Don't overlook possibly the most under rated, CZ 75 or 85B. Beretta 92 FS ain't a bad choice either. IMO

Stiffler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    el paso
    You are correct sir.

Forget the $200.00 price. The reason I say that, is because it will probably be junk. You can probably find a Glock 17 or 19 in that range ($400.00). Possibly a Sig. Don't overlook possibly the most under rated, CZ 75 or 85B. Beretta 92 FS ain't a bad choice either. IMO

Thanks (randmplumbingll) I might be young and new but iv done alot of research on gun laws and of course safety. Also yeah the $200 price was just a starting point, i would expect a decent gun to be a little more :). I actually have a friend with a Beretta 92 awesome gun.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Good luck in finding someone who will sell to you.

ftw13's sentiments are very common.

Why is that ? The Texas state law and federal law 18 USC 922 (b) do not prohibit the sale from a private party. It is not illigal for someone 18 and older to obtain, possess or own a handgun, so..... what is the problem ?

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Why is that ? The Texas state law and federal law 18 USC 922 (b) do not prohibit the sale from a private party. It is not illigal for someone 18 and older to obtain, possess or own a handgun, so..... what is the problem ?

I think what he's saying (or at least what I gathered is) that alot of people think that you cannot. And alot of people probably will not for whatever reason they choose.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Its a good idea when you quote the law that you list or link the law you are referring to.

Texas Penal Code

Sec. 46.06. UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;
    (2) intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
    (3) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who is intoxicated;
    (4) knowingly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who has been convicted of a felony before the fifth anniversary of the later of the following dates:
    (A) the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony; or
    (B) the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision following conviction of the felony;
    (5) sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that an active protective order is directed to the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered; or
    (6) knowingly purchases, rents, leases, or receives as a loan or gift from another a handgun while an active protective order is directed to the actor.
    (b) In this section:
    (1) "Intoxicated" means substantial impairment of mental or physical capacity resulting from introduction of any substance into the body.
    (2) "Active protective order" means a protective order issued under Title 4, Family Code, that is in effect. The term does not include a temporary protective order issued before the court holds a hearing on the matter.
    (c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(2) that the transfer was to a minor whose parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that an offense under Subsection (a)(2) is a state jail felony if the weapon that is the subject of the offense is a handgun.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 686, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1985. Renumbered from Penal Code Sec. 46.07 and amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 324, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1996; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1193, Sec. 22, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1304, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 15.02(f), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Federal Law 18 USC 922 B

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver— (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    (2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;
    (3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    (4) to any person any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity; and
    (5) any firearm or armor-piercing ammunition to any person unless the licensee notes in his records, required to be kept pursuant to section 923 of this chapter, the name, age, and place of residence of such person if the person is an individual, or the identity and principal and local places of business of such person if the person is a corporation or other business entity.

Paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (4) of this subsection shall not apply to transactions between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors. Paragraph (4) of this subsection shall not apply to a sale or delivery to any research organization designated by the Attorney General.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I think what he's saying (or at least what I gathered is) that alot of people think that you cannot. And alot of people probably will not for whatever reason they choose.

If they don't want for whatever reason, that is their choice, but it is not against Texas State or Federal law. That is all I am saying.

Stiffler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    el paso
    Man i love this site already, all this back and forward debating in bringing alot of knowledge to me and informing me even more!!!! Thank you guys !!!

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    the way the post was worded it sounded like someone trying to procure an illegal weapon,especially the $200 price. if its not against the law then cool,but i know anyone under 21 cannot buy a gun from an FFL....and straw purchasing is also illegal.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    the way the post was worded it sounded like someone trying to procure an illegal weapon,especially the $200 price. if its not against the law then cool,but i know anyone under 21 cannot buy a gun from an FFL....and straw purchasing is also illegal.

Understandable on how he came off, but it is not illigal, at all. Straw purchasing is illigal ? Someone better tell Circle K, cuz I purchase one with every Big Gulp I buy from them.......(well I thought it was funny !)

Top Bottom