• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4given

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Money's tight and so is the wife's expression when I mention buying a rifle.

So.. I've been looking at something she might enjoy shooting too.

Ruger 10/22 would be my high end price range. I honestly liked the feel of the Remington 597 w/ scope at Academy ($179) and the Henry H001 lever seems like it would be a lot of fun. I've seen the Ruger 522LR and that would be slick, but FAR too pricey. Seems like used 22LR's at Cabelas and local Pawn shops are way overpriced.

Suggestions?
    Military Camp

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    We have a 597 and like it. It's easy to clean, fun to shoot, and that's not a bad price. They've been at that price, with the scope, for a while so there's no need to hurry.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It's a real easy choice for me, go with the 10/22. Versatile(barrel length/factory options), reliable and accurate. It has more aftermarket options(clips,bbls,stocks,etc.) than virtually any 22 ever made. Even your Academy or Wallyworld special should come in around $199. Eventually you can modify or upgrade anything you want. It's the perfect platform for a lifetime of plinkin' or to build a match grade target rifle from. Don't let $20-50 effect your lifetime investment in a gun, you will regret it.

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a real easy choice for me, go with the 10/22. Versatile(barrel length/factory options), reliable and accurate. It has more aftermarket options(clips,bbls,stocks,etc.) than virtually any 22 ever made. Even your Academy or Wallyworld special should come in around $199. Eventually you can modify or upgrade anything you want. It's the perfect platform for a lifetime of plinkin' or to build a match grade target rifle from. Don't let $20-50 effect your lifetime investment in a gun, you will regret it.
    Ditto. I have 3 10/22s all in different configurations. Warning though, modifying 10/22s is addicting and gets expensive.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I assume you are wanting a semi-auto one? The first gun I bought was a Marlin tubular-fed bolt .22 and I cannot say enough good things about it. It's accurate, reliable and it was only about $150 new at the time. It's a bit slower than a semi-auto but I still have plenty of fun with it.

4x4given

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Tube mag would be fine, which is why the Henry H001 is really interesting to me. But I also really like the Ruger and Remington. Dang... I guess I need about $700 and get all 3!!!

Mike Boyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    San Antonio
    I bought an inexpensive Stevens semiauto for my grandson a few years ago at Wally World, it was $98, then bought a Marlin Model 60 for myself for $119 (now about $150) I purchased a couple of Bushnell 3-9X32 rimfire scopes for them both for less than $100. The absolute preference of course is the Marlin, tube fed and NEVER jams, just fires perfectly everytime you pull the trigger. The Stevens works great with Remington coated hollow and solid point bullets, but constantly jams with lead only hollow point Winchester white box. I bought extra magazines for the Stevens, which hold 10 shots each. My grandson can nearly drive tacks with either gun at 25 to 50 yards. The Marlin with the microgroove barrel is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I would highly recommend it. It has a beautiful wood stock and excellent finished steel, blued metal work. The tube is brass, so should last a lifetime. The theory of the microgroove barrel is more groves that don't deform the bullet, allowing greater accuracy over other types of grooving. Bud's has one for a little more than $150, but check at WalMart and Academy for competitive prices. Marlin 60 .22 LR Semi Auto Birch Stock 22 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $154.00

Hope this helps. The Bushnell scopes, although inexpensive have good clarity and are easy to use and consistent. If you have the money, look into a Nikon 3-9X40, but it will cost almost as much as the gun, but unbelievable optics. All have lifetime warrants on the scopes.

Once you get used to shooting the .22, you will most likely want to look at something bigger, take a look at the new Marlin XL7 or XS7 bolt actions. For the money, they are awesome!!

Good luck with your purchase, have fun shopping.

Mike Boyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    San Antonio
    Another suggestion

If you really want to have some inexpensive fun and don't mind spending a little more for ammo, you might try a .22 magnum. Marlin, Savage/Steven, Ruger, Remington, Henry and many others have some affordable rifles in this caliper as well. You might want to look at this, then call around Walmarts in your area and find out what they can order or have in stock. Happy Hunting!

Marlin 22 Magnum w/4 & 7 Round Magazine/Black Synthetic Stoc for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $187.00

Top Bottom