• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    My dad is retiring, and I'd like to get him a class where we basically bring a box of parts and learn to assemble an AR. Have y'all ever heard of one of these? Preferably in Texas, but will make a road trip out of it if it's good enough.
    Capitol Armory ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Never heard of one before. It's not like building an engine or anything, it's actually simple. ARs are the "Level 1 Snap Tite" model of the gun world.

If you can assemble Ikea stuff, you can put an AR together, no problem.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Never heard of one before. It's not like building an engine or anything, it's actually simple. ARs are the "Level 1 Snap Tite" model of the gun world.

If you can assemble Ikea stuff, you can put an AR together, no problem.

I'm looking for more of an armorer's course where my dad I and can hang out and at the same time learn from someone with experience what each part does, how to polish this, and adjust that to suit our preferences, etc.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I watched as an 11 year old built an AR lower from a kit.

Now mind you he is an expert with Lego's and said it was not near as hard as some of his previous Lego builds.

They have got to be the simplest to understand gun that has come down the pike in a long time. A few inexpensive specialty tools, some basic tools and a less than average understanding of how to use those tools and mechanics is all you need.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    yea. i realize you wanna spend time with the pops, but an AR is so ridiculously easy to put together, if you paid anything more than $50 you would prlly feel ripped off at the end of the 30 minute session.

now, an AK build party, that sounds like awesometown.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    It's really easy like others have said... I learned from the Brownells series and trial and error. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought half the gizmos that I did back in the day (roll pin holders, bolt catch roll pin punch, armorer's block, etc...) - just pay attention and pause the videos as you go through the steps. It's so simple a caveman could do it. To assemble all I use is: a set of Starrett brass and steel punches, Lyman roll pin punches, a double sided brass/nylon hammer, needle nose pliers, a screwdriver set, an armorer's wrench, a ball peen hammer, and duct tape. They come out perfect every time. EDIT: I also used the excellent Geissele reaction rod on my last two builds. I will never be without it. Pricey, but if you work on ARs much, it's worth it.

Last edited:

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I think the thing is, if you've learned enough to know which parts to buy, then assembly is not going to be a problem for you. Now...knowing which parts for what you want to end up with, is another story. With the range of prices, qualities, capabilities, and advantages, getting that parts list together could take months!

Top Bottom