• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jcsprankle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Houston, TX
    I did my LTC class at Spring Guns and Ammo on Spring Cypress (east of Kuykendahl). Not really in Tomball, but pretty close. Good instructor.

stickbowcoop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Springtown TX
    Maybe not what you are looking for but I took my LTC class online through Bend of the River. Then I just had to find a local instructor for the shooting portion. The online class was $45 and the instructor charged me $20 to shoot. It was nice because after a failed back surgery and cancer I didn't think I could sit all day in a class room. Online allowed me to work at my own pace.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    We do LTC Classes and we're 5 minutes north of Tomball. We do about one per month. We actually used Joe's range for our shooting portion. Very decent man.

One thing that people say about our classes versus others (not a sales pitch; just an observation), is about how thorough it is. As instructors, we all take the same instructor class. They give us a very generic outline. Then it's up to the instructor to make a class out of it.

Before I was an instructor, my wife took a class somewhere (won't mention it). It was all women. About 30 people. The instructor basically just read the test to them.

I had one student who audited my class because her friend was taking it. The auditor already had a CHL from somewhere else. She said "in my class they didn't go over a quarter of this!" I created a powerpoint presentation complete with videos, we do live role playing about certain situations, we have class discussion and interaction. And we do it all within the 4 hour mandated time. Realize, too, that the shooting portion is a TEST. It's not a class to teach you to shoot. In fact, we're not allowed to teach you to shoot for the test. We can stop you for safety, but I can't advise you to grip the gun differently or stop jerking the trigger. We can schedule a "pre-CHL how to shoot class" though. Having said that, the shooting test is VERY easy. With just a basic understanding of marksmanship, you should be able to pass the test with your eyes closed. Literally. So don't sweat the shooting test portion.

Taking the class online is convenient, but there's no discussion or feedback mechanism. Invariably, we have students ask questions and learn from other students' scenarios. You lose that online.

Wherever you take the class, I hope they don't just teach the test. There's so much more to it than that. We even used to add a holster, firearm, and ammo selection section just because I thought it was important if you're going to carry a gun to know what to consider. Now holster selection is required.

Two final suggestions:
    --Join the NRA. The reason you have a right to take the class and carry a gun is because of the NRA. Congressmen don't give a crap about you. But they do listen to the collective voice of the NRA. Money talks. Sucks but true. We'd have likely lost a lot of our rights a long time ago without the NRA. Have your voice heard with just $25/yr (unless it's gone up). Plus, you get a free $2500 life insurance policy (I think they still do that). So, if you pay $25/yr for life (or just get the life membership for like $600), you actually MAKE MONEY on your investment (your family profits on your membership when you die). You get all your dues back plus some. Or they do, anyway. You also get some free gun insurance. And a free magazine. Oh, and you support the organization that protects your right to carry among other things. Sure, some people have some issues with nuances about the NRA, but I bet even Ted Cruz won't take their phone call. Stop by our store for more info if you're interested.

--strongly consider getting Texas Law Shield. $220/yr roughly for you and your spouse. "But that's a lot and I don't think I'll need it." Well, you're carrying a gun everyday. It's not because you hope you need it. It's because one day you might. You're being prepared. Same concept. A retainer for a lawyer in a self-defense shooting will be over $5,000. That's not the total, just the retainer to talk to someone! So you could pay their fees for 25 years and still barely covered a retainer. You don't fasten your seatbelt hoping to get in a wreck either. But if the need arises, it'll ruin you if you're not prepared. We looked at a lot of programs (including NRA Carry Guard) and found TLS to be the best. Other programs reimburse you for your legal expenses...if you're not guilty. TLS defends you from day one with no extra up front out of pocket.

Reactions: ZIG

ZIG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Some good knowledge there.

We do LTC Classes and we're 5 minutes north of Tomball. We do about one per month. We actually used Joe's range for our shooting portion. Very decent man.

One thing that people say about our classes versus others (not a sales pitch; just an observation), is about how thorough it is. As instructors, we all take the same instructor class. They give us a very generic outline. Then it's up to the instructor to make a class out of it.

Before I was an instructor, my wife took a class somewhere (won't mention it). It was all women. About 30 people. The instructor basically just read the test to them.

I had one student who audited my class because her friend was taking it. The auditor already had a CHL from somewhere else. She said "in my class they didn't go over a quarter of this!" I created a powerpoint presentation complete with videos, we do live role playing about certain situations, we have class discussion and interaction. And we do it all within the 4 hour mandated time. Realize, too, that the shooting portion is a TEST. It's not a class to teach you to shoot. In fact, we're not allowed to teach you to shoot for the test. We can stop you for safety, but I can't advise you to grip the gun differently or stop jerking the trigger. We can schedule a "pre-CHL how to shoot class" though. Having said that, the shooting test is VERY easy. With just a basic understanding of marksmanship, you should be able to pass the test with your eyes closed. Literally. So don't sweat the shooting test portion.

Taking the class online is convenient, but there's no discussion or feedback mechanism. Invariably, we have students ask questions and learn from other students' scenarios. You lose that online.

Wherever you take the class, I hope they don't just teach the test. There's so much more to it than that. We even used to add a holster, firearm, and ammo selection section just because I thought it was important if you're going to carry a gun to know what to consider. Now holster selection is required.

Two final suggestions:
    --Join the NRA. The reason you have a right to take the class and carry a gun is because of the NRA. Congressmen don't give a crap about you. But they do listen to the collective voice of the NRA. Money talks. Sucks but true. We'd have likely lost a lot of our rights a long time ago without the NRA. Have your voice heard with just $25/yr (unless it's gone up). Plus, you get a free $2500 life insurance policy (I think they still do that). So, if you pay $25/yr for life (or just get the life membership for like $600), you actually MAKE MONEY on your investment (your family profits on your membership when you die). You get all your dues back plus some. Or they do, anyway. You also get some free gun insurance. And a free magazine. Oh, and you support the organization that protects your right to carry among other things. Sure, some people have some issues with nuances about the NRA, but I bet even Ted Cruz won't take their phone call. Stop by our store for more info if you're interested.

--strongly consider getting Texas Law Shield. $220/yr roughly for you and your spouse. "But that's a lot and I don't think I'll need it." Well, you're carrying a gun everyday. It's not because you hope you need it. It's because one day you might. You're being prepared. Same concept. A retainer for a lawyer in a self-defense shooting will be over $5,000. That's not the total, just the retainer to talk to someone! So you could pay their fees for 25 years and still barely covered a retainer. You don't fasten your seatbelt hoping to get in a wreck either. But if the need arises, it'll ruin you if you're not prepared. We looked at a lot of programs (including NRA Carry Guard) and found TLS to be the best. Other programs reimburse you for your legal expenses...if you're not guilty. TLS defends you from day one with no extra up front out of pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom