Join TexasGunTalk

Looking for a good range

Discussion in 'Dallas & Fort Worth' started by 98chrysler, May 13, 2017.

1. 98chrysler

98chrysler New Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I am trying to find a local range in the Dallas preferably but not necessarily in the north end that I can sight in a few rifles and do some chrony testing. I haven't done a bunch of looking yet I thought I may find my answer here among the more experienced folk. I want to be able to sight in multiple rifles at 100 meters and be able to set up my remote chrony and take readings. Primarily I am shooting a .308 and .338 Lapua Magnum. I have no issues using non-FMJ rounds as I am primarily shooting SMK and Nosler BTHP projectiles. I am reloading and am currently testing load combinations so ranges that do not allow reloads are out. Prone or bench rest position makes no difference. It would be nice to find a quiet out of the way place that I don't have to worry about some bro's girlfriend waving around his once fired 44mag revolver if ya know what I mean.

2. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Elm Fork might be the ticket. But I like Fossil Point better. But it's north of Denton.

3. Swaydude

Swaydude New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Try Lone Star Gun Club in Mesquite

4. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Active Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
  5. Bigboy2014

Bigboy2014 New Member

Jun 6, 2014
    TxGunRange. no non-sense rules

cm76065 likes this.
  6. bluzman

bluzman Member

Apr 8, 2015
    North Texas
    I've used both Elm Fork and Garland. I think either would work.

7. Martowski

Martowski New Member

Aug 1, 2015
    North Dallas Area
    I second the Armadillo Guns suggestion. Although, you're limited to 50 and 100 yards and have to shoot through a tube placed in an embankment.

8. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen SIG Fan Boy

Sep 1, 2017
    Forney, TX
    Lonestar in Mesquite is where I'm at currently. They have recently moved to this location and things are still pretty rough there, but it is a nice quiet place and they let you do pretty much what you want as long as you are being safe. Very laid back and no girlfriends waving around 44 mags :) Also there is a long range spot going up to 600 yards.

Garland isn't bad. It's busier, a little more restricted, and there are more aforementioned girlfriends there. Last time I was there I was shooting my smith 40SD and the girl next to me was complaining about "this guy next to me wont stop shooting his freakin' cannon and it startles me". But she wasn't waving a 44. It was bass pros little six shooter toy that you get for 100 bucks. Her group would shoot it here and there in between their steady stream of camels and pabst blue ribbons.

Anyways, I digress. I'm thinking about going to every outdoor range available and doing detailed reviews with pictures. The nomad in me would enjoy it and it would be good info to share.

9. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen SIG Fan Boy

Sep 1, 2017
    Forney, TX
  10. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Why was that allowed? Booze and guns don't mix. Would've packed up and demanded by money back.