Venture Surplus ad

Looking for a gun light. Maybe a laser too.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm in the market for a gun light for my pistol (Glock 19 for now). I think I also want a laser. My wife wants one, but I'm not set on it.

I was looking at the TLR-2. It has a laser 130 lumens.

The surefire X300 looks nice 170 lumens, though its a bit more expensive and no laser. They all last about 2.5 hours (which seems kind of short).

Any ideas, advise, and experiences?
    DK Firearms

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I've used an Insight M6 (with laser) and a Streamlight TLR-1 (without laser) both and prefer the TLR-1. It is much brighter, has a longer run time (personal experience) and is less bulky overall. I don't think the laser is necessary. The only time a laser might be useful is when you can't extend your arms to acquire a proper sight picture, but, to me, at that point you're point shooting anyway. I'm an advocate for a good light but am finding myself to be less of a proponent for lasers.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I like the idea of the TLR2. I'm going to buy one for my home gun someday. Prob for my truck gun after that.
    My problem is that I always seem to want to save up for another gun instead of going back and improving the guns that I currently have to better fulfill their core mission. I justify it by saying I'll always be able to buy a laser/light combo or a tactical 12 gauge setup, but may not always be able to buy that next cool rifle or handgun.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think I might just get a light.

THe TLR-3 is on sale for $70 and the TLR-1 is arond $100. Sounds like the TLR-1 is a bit bigger, brighter, and has 2 batteries instead of 1.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've already got some night sights. I've got the factory Glocks on my glock. I had a set of Trijicon ones on my Beretta that I sold. Liked both. I do wish the front sight was a different shad than the back, but it seems to work fine without them.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    TLR-1 or if you want a more compact model, the TLR-3. Runtime isn't an issue, you should only be flipping it on when you think you have something to shoot at. They're too bright for most "general use" situations, it's not tactically sound to use them for anything but lighting up a probable target (and hiding behind), and it's mounted to a freaking gun.

Skip the laser. The best way I've heard laser sights described was as "the longest way to get on target."

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I've got a spare TLR-1 I'll let you try out if you want. I might even be able to be convinced to sell it to you cheap. PM me your addy if you're interested and I'll ship it out to ya on my dime if you"ll ship it back on yours. Unless you convince me you need it worse than I do.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Well folks. I've broken the cycle of just buying guns and not accessorizing them. I was in GT distributors today and they had a TLR-2 for $159.95. Best price I've seen around for a new one. Seemed like a steal, so I bought it and I like it!

Aside from home defense at night use, I wanted the laser to help with my dry firing to ensure I'm staying on target.

Top Bottom