• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    That's really looking nice! Is the shape just by eyeball? Similar shape to Dexter but bigger! I searched for something heavier like that with no luck.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That's really looking nice! Is the shape just by eyeball? Similar shape to Dexter but bigger! I searched for something heavier like that with no luck.

Yeah, that's the shape it took while I was forging it, and I decided I liked where it was going and refined it a bit when I started grinding. The ergonomics feel good in the hand, even without handle scales. I can't wait to feel it with the handle completed.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Have to applaud the amount of work that goes into that. I keep threatening to give it a try but the reality looks less fun. :laughing:
    Look forward to seeing the finished product!

Man, even when it's frustrating it's still fun as hell. Especially now that I'm making blades. Don't get me wrong, any blacksmithing is relaxing, but blades are even better.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hoji, I haven't forgotten you...

20230529_200514.jpg 20230529_200334.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Poke around the local Goodwill. I've found a lot of really nice kitchen knves over the years
    That's not so easy these days. Goodwill combs their donations carefully. Anything with any real value is auctioned online. The days of finding hidden gems at Goodwill are mostly over.

I bought a cover for Bang, Barroom, and Harp (audiophiles will know that very famous record) for $2 at Goodwill about 10 years ago. It was just the cover; the actual LP was nowhere to be found. That was the last good deal I've gotten at a Goodwill. I still drop in occasionally but the quality of the merchandise has almost universally dropped from "let's donate our extras" to "crappy garage sale in a bad neighborhood" levels.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Poke around the local Goodwill. I've found a lot of really nice kitchen knves over the years, but in the meantime, EVERYBODY needs a custon made sharp thingy.

It's pretty unlikely you're going to find something like Hoji requested at any secondhand store. Or firsthand store. He had pretty specific parameters in mind that have been a challenge to meet.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    What's this? Progress? Yes!

I'm mostly satisfied with the bevels so I'm calling that step done. They're not perfect, but...well, they're not perfect.

Clamped the Bonechopper into the vise to smooth out the handle profile, and now I've got one of the brass scales setting up with tape and superglue so I can drill out the pinholes and be certain they're 100% accurate. Then I'll peel the tape off, tape and glue the drilled brass to another piece, and I'll have accurate pinholes in both pieces to match the blade.

The trick is taping the pieces, then supergluing the taped surfaces. That way it holds tight, but when you're done you can just peel it all off and your pieces are clean.

20230902_143317.jpg 20230902_150712.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom