• ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    What's this? Progress? Yes!

I'm mostly satisfied with the bevels so I'm calling that step done. They're not perfect, but...well, they're not perfect.

Clamped the Bonechopper into the vise to smooth out the handle profile, and now I've got one of the brass scales setting up with tape and superglue so I can drill out the pinholes and be certain they're 100% accurate. Then I'll peel the tape off, tape and glue the drilled brass to another piece, and I'll have accurate pinholes in both pieces to match the blade.

The trick is taping the pieces, then supergluing the taped surfaces. That way it holds tight, but when you're done you can just peel it all off and your pieces are clean.

View attachment 404118 View attachment 404119
    Awesome! Please don’t get heat stroke getting this finished. It is looking amazing
    Texas SOT

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Awesome! Please don’t get heat stroke getting this finished. It is looking amazing
    Yeah, this summer has seriously slowed the already slow progress. It was "only" 95° today with an actual cool north breeze throigh the shop so i put a couple of hours in cleaning the shop and working on the Bonechopper.

I'm grateful for your patience, though.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yeah, this summer has seriously slowed the already slow progress. It was "only" 95° today with an actual cool north breeze throigh the shop so i put a couple of hours in cleaning the shop and working on the Bonechopper.

I'm grateful for your patience, though.
    take care out in that heat it can sneak up on you!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    webImg_MeatRoom_MeatSaw_6614ql_BodyTopImg.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Current progress.

Still needs the touchmark stamp and heat treat, but I'm doing the basic shaping on the brass pieces in the meantime. I'm using steel pins to temporarily hold the pieces just because I don't have that much round brass. It's picked up a little surface rust but that'll clean up easily.

20231001_164916.jpg 20231001_164929.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    To hang from a hook or nail?
    Hanging knives always seemed like a great way for someone to get cut. When I started cutting meat there were knife scabbards mounted to the block. If there was a cleaver it went between the blocks frame & the mounted scabbard. Back then no one would dare use another meat cutters knife. I wore mine on a hip scabbard. As things changed I would take my knives to the truck with me to keep them out of others hands.

The city of Houston really had a hard on for High Carbon Steel knives in the markets. Most of the cleaver I seen were high carbon. Instead of getting hammered for it the cleaver just went away. One Chinese guy I worked with started hiding his cleaver & the health department always found it. No one in management would say anything to him with his cleaver, and it wasn't even a Chinese cleaver.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Tonight, one of the most dangerous steps. All the temporarily mounted brass was removed, the forge was fired up, and the touchmark stamp was employed.

20231012_200147.jpg

Now, I know it had a nice, shiny finish on it and now it's all scorched looking, but that smooth finish is still under the oxidation layer the heat put on it. And this is the first of at least three times I'll have to shine it back up. One more step forward.

Also, the brass is shaped close enough to be called "done" except for polishing and mounting. Right now the halves are temporarily mounted back to back so I could come closer to having them symmetrical.

20231012_200911.jpg

I'm actually posting this from the forge - the Bonechopper is still too hot to touch. More work tomorrow.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    Just FWIW, most of those chineae cleavers aren't really cleavers --- they're knives with a blade shape like a cleaver.

Helpfully, they're often called "Chinese cleavers" instead of "Chinese chef's knives" which is what they are.

Trying to chop bone or joints with one will ruin it quick.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just FWIW, most of those chineae cleavers aren't really cleavers --- they're knives with a blade shape like a cleaver.

Helpfully, they're often called "Chinese cleavers" instead of "Chinese chef's knives" which is what they are.

Trying to chop bone or joints with one will ruin it quick.

This one's not a Chinese cleaver...so no worries there.

Top Bottom