Join TexasGunTalk

Looking for a quality Gun Safe

Discussion in 'Houston' started by TexasEric, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Exactly.

Pet peeve of mine.

2. innominate

innominate Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    eZiKTp3.jpg

308nato likes this.
  3. Big Green

Big Green Active Member

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I've read that on Rimfire before.

I was looking at Amsec safes the other day. Well, not exactly safes, their RSC. The B rated ones got pricey quick. I've been looking at the Browns for a while which are also pricey but I need something better now! I'll probably be buying one from Amsec in a few weeks and upgrading to a Brown or Graffunder in the hopefully near future.

I looked at the cheap ones from Academy and don't like the lock situation, as others have stated. I'll take a mechanical S&G over the electronic ones that seem to have battery problems.

When comparing the Amsec to say, a Liberty, the fireproofing seems a little better and some of the design features. Costs are similar but Liberty has more luxurious features and the Amsec is more practical. Ill take practical for a "safe."

4. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    @tinplas Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I almost bought a cannon last year at academy on sale... I still am tempted to get a 700 dollar unit to have SOMETHING.... I will definitely look into AMSEC and Gauffander.... BROWN's were expensive.. a 24 gun safe was 4000 bucks. I'm looking in the 800 to 1200 dollar region.

TexasEric likes this.
  5. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Your price range is in line with a smaller Liberty safe.
    Nothing wrong with them, especially if you want a little piece of mind "right now". Just know that there are much better choices out there, obviously they will cost more.

6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Friend of mine has a couple of used Coke machines, strips the guts out and its gun safe. He called over at the Coke Dist in town and I think he paid $150 for it. Well built, hard to break into, insulated and would fool somebody...

FireInTheWire and SloppyShooter like this.
  7. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I thought the reason you had guns was to protect your property?

8. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    Well thats the problem, you need to keep them hidden till you pull them out to take a selfie.Then away they go.

If you need protection you call 911 and wait 30 minutes while you are tied to a chair and have to watch your wife and kids get abused.

TexasEric likes this.
  9. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Wait!!! Aren't you the guys with pajama holsters?

10. tinplas

tinplas Member

Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    Glad I could help, but the only expertise I brought was the ability to cut and paste. The retired locksmith on rimfirecentral provided the knowledge. Hope it helps