• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I'm looking for a good shooting mat and a bipod that won't break the bank. Our gun Club has a 600 yd rifle range with stations at 300, 400, 500 and 600 but only has 2 benches at 600. Seems every time I'm out there, the ground is wet so a mat is a must. Just had son #2 and the wife has been off work for 2 months so money is an object right now, but I don't want junk either. Anybody have any suggestions? This will be going on a custom savage model 12 Target in 6.5x284.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm a big fan of the MidwayUSA branded shooting mat. I think it was around $25 with padded areas for your elbows. It's lasted pretty well.

For a cheaper but not junky bipod I think Harris is the way to go. The midway may has a strap at the from you can load the bipod against so you don't really need 15 sets of interchangeable feet for it.

Ok, it's about $60. There is another that's $30 but pretty sure this is the one I've been using for years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939101910/midwayusa-pro-series-competition-shooting-mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    While I do not normally recommend this seller, Botach has a sale on Harris Bipods right now:

https://www.botach.com/harris-bipod...um=link&utm_campaign=BotachHarrisBipod-5-8-17

Oh, and Walmart yoga mats make very good shooting mats......... don't judge me.
    Thanks for the link. The one I would want is out of stock (go figure)

I had seriously considered just getting some kind of mat like a yoga mat or a large piece of marine grade carpet with a rubber backing. I've even considered making one that would fold up and hold the rifle, but figured by the time it was said and done, I'd come out better just buying one. I'm leaning more and more toward the case/mat combo. I'd rather a hard case, but, so far, haven't found one long enough (only looked locally at Academy and gander). This isn't going to be for any kind of competition, just something to play with at the range a few times a year.

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming!!

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I used a shooting mat for almost 8 years. After putting my mat down on an anthill, I used a Harbor Freight tarp on the ground and placed my mat on top. An additional advantage is that if it rains, you can fold the tarp over to cover your gear.

I have some Harris bipods and several that I bought at Wally World. The WW bipod is pretty good and you don't need to brag about where you bought it.

Incidentally, I have a $1000 20-60x Kowa spotting scope but the one that I prefer is the Harbor Freight $49 scope! I'm not hot on the tripod that comes with it, but the the scope is very good! Watch their sales. Sometimes it is priced at $39!

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have both Harris and Blackhawk bipods. They look the same but the Harris is made better.

The WW model just isn't as sturdy and has more slack in the legs. I'd buy another one to run on small, light guns or when I'm not trying to get everything I can out of the rifle.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I have both Harris and Blackhawk bipods. They look the same but the Harris is made better.

The WW model just isn't as sturdy and has more slack in the legs. I'd buy another one to run on small, light guns or when I'm not trying to get everything I can out of the rifle.

I have a cheap bipod that came with another rifle I bought used. I may give it a shot just for fun and see how it does. For a mat, I'm still leaning toward the ones at midway or a large yoga mat. I'm also going to check out the HF spotting scope. I'm usually by myself at the range so it sure would be much easier if I could see bullet impacts out to 600. If not, I'll just toss it in my deer stand. For less than $50, I'm not out much. I have zero problem buying cheap as long as it's functional. I don't need to be able to count the hairs on a Nats behind at 1000 yds, just see a bullet hole at 600 lol.
    I used a shooting mat for almost 8 years. After putting my mat down on an anthill, I used a Harbor Freight tarp on the ground and placed my mat on top. An additional advantage is that if it rains, you can fold the tarp over to cover your gear.

I have some Harris bipods and several that I bought at Wally World. The WW bipod is pretty good and you don't need to brag about where you bought it.

Incidentally, I have a $1000 20-60x Kowa spotting scope but the one that I prefer is the Harbor Freight $49 scope! I'm not hot on the tripod that comes with it, but the the scope is very good! Watch their sales. Sometimes it is priced at $39!

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

This absolutely.

They look and feel very similar until you flip the legs or put pressure on the rifle. Then it is night and day different. Twist the rifle while leaning on it and you will see. The Harris will lift a leg before its frame flexes.

The cheap ones work until you need ultimate stability.

If you are shooting groups at 600 yards get a Harris. They aren't that expensive for the base model.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    This absolutely.

They look and feel very similar until you flip the legs or put pressure on the rifle. Then it is night and day different. Twist the rifle while leaning on it and you will see. The Harris will lift a leg before its frame flexes.

The cheap ones work until you need ultimate stability.

If you are shooting groups at 600 yards get a Harris. They aren't that expensive for the base model.

Oh, when I buy one, it will be a harris or better. Too many people recommending them not to! Worked 16 hrs yesterday and working 16 today, so I'll have a little extra cash. Might just order one. Leaning more and more toward the gun case/shooting mat combo also. Just gotta figure out which one. I really want something a little bigger than the standard 2' x 6' and being waterproof is a must around here

Another question, what kind of log book do yall use? Just a note pad or do use some kind of pre made log? I've been using a rite in the rain notepad, but wondering if there is something better out there.

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I use a Rite in the Rain also but only because I have it. Any notepad will suffice.
    I have about 30 pads left from a job I had several years ago so I'm set for a while lol

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Finally got aroynd to ordering. Here is what I ended up with:

Shooting mat. I needed a case to transport it to and from the range anyway:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...ooting+mat&dpPl=1&dpID=41QDlRdeNeL&ref=plSrch

Bipod

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...pod+1a2brm&dpPl=1&dpID=41-f2WLoMuL&ref=plSrch

Sand bags

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...oting+bags&dpPl=1&dpID=5173ugykhYL&ref=plSrch

Supposed to arrive monday so hopefully ill get to test them put next week.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Some pics
    5ee07cd528da2e6b02162f479e1f6ded.jpg
    52df4339e2635e6fed10e0ca4a6f90d5.jpg
    9a31914ce4c6608b6acd1280886effb3.jpg

Top Bottom