• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kara Robert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    New York
    I'm in the market for a scope for scar 17. Rifle will see bench shooting only. Primarily 300 meters with a few trips a year to stretch to 800 ish unless I can find a spot to go beyond 1000. Rifle will never be hunted with. Currently it wears a vortex 4-16×44 viper which has held up well but the optical clarity is just not there. I also have a leupold vx5hd 3-15 which has excellent glass but I'm wanting something with more magnification.
    I've been looking into zeiss conquest v4 6-24 and leupold vx3i 6.5-20 lrp and night force SHV 6-20x56. I have zero experience with sightron other than my binoculars which are a decent product. What else should I be looking into for under $2000? Optical clarity is the biggest factor to me. I would like to potentially go to a few shooting matches in my lifetime but I will never be a serious competitor.

What are your suggestions?
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I like the SWFA 5-20X50. Shot with one a while back but don't own one. Probably would if I would quite spending the money I put back for it.

Also like the Vortex Razor. The Gen 1 can be had in your price range. Great warranty but I don't think it has as much vert adjustment as the SWFA.

Lots of options out there. Those are the two I had on my short list though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I bought a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 a while ago that YG was talking about. The glass is super clear. I wish the reticle was a bit thinner, but its tracking is spot on.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The Athlon Cronus series will give you what you want for under $2k. I have one mounted on one of my bolt actions,and it doesn't give much up when compared to the $3k scopes that I have on other rifles
    It has a great reticles,and tracks very well. I've shot out to a mile with it,and it tracked excellent.

A used Vortex Razor Gen 2, Kahles K624i or Nightforce can be found for around $2k.

If you don't want or need a First Focal Plane reticle,the Sightron SIII scopes will serve you very well. I have four of the 6-24x50 SIII's,they track with the best scopes,and the glass is pretty good too.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have trouble following rigid parameters.
    And I excel at helping other guys spend money.

Hence my recommendation of a $2,028 scope (on Amazon).
    Nightforce NSX Tactical 5.5-22x50
    I have one and I love it.

Jump up to their NSX 8-32x56 that Chris Kyle purportedly used for a mere $2,125.
    I don't have one but will eventually.

Definitely are some of those scopes that radiates "drop me on a rock and I'll be fine".

Few of us need more than a 3.5-15x for hunting. 8-32's skinny field of view is a liability for most game outings but you did say you seek something for 800-1000 shooting.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Leupold Mk 5 HD in 5-25x is what you want.
    Since the thread has been brought back up I will continue to support the Leupold Mark 5 but add the Sig Tango 6 5-30 is a wonderful scope too.

They both push the upper end of the given budget but are guaranteed forever for any reason along with Vortex. I am a self admitted warranty snob though. There is a big difference between conditional and unconditional lifetime warranty.

Top Bottom