Target Sports

Looking for a TX/UT combined CHL class in the Frisco/McKinney area.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pewter99ta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Texas
    It seems a while back I found info on someone that offered a combined class covering both the Texas and the Utah licenses but I can't seem to find it now. I'm eligible for the Texas license but I'd also like to have the Utah license as a backup (lost or stolen wallet, etc.) Does anyone know of a place that offers such a class in the Frisco/McKinney area. I don't currently have either so I would need the "New" CHL for Texas. Thanks for any info.
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just a suggestion; you might want to hold off on that Utah license unless you need the extra states. There has been a bill filed in the Texas Legislature that, if passed, would make your Utah License not valid here in Texas while you are a resident of Texas.

pewter99ta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Texas
    The extra states don't hurt either. If I ever go to one of them I'd be covered instead of trying to get permit at the last minute. I've seen some info about the proposed changes here in Texas but thought the Utah license would only be invalid if I didn't have a TX CHL. In the event I lost my TX CHL due to my wallet being stolen, etc. (not revoked or suspended) wouldn't the Utah license still cover me until I receive my replacement TX license? I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify that point although I realize it may be a gray area and just speculation until the law is finalized. Not planning on losing my TX license once I receive it or traveling to the few extra states the Utah license covers but I'd rather be prepared if either happens. Same logic behind wanting the permit in the first place. :) Thanks again.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The extra states don't hurt either. If I ever go to one of them I'd be covered instead of trying to get permit at the last minute.
    Absolutely!

I've seen some info about the proposed changes here in Texas but thought the Utah license would only be invalid if I didn't have a TX CHL. In the event I lost my TX CHL due to my wallet being stolen, etc. (not revoked or suspended) wouldn't the Utah license still cover me until I receive my replacement TX license?
    I believe this bill will make an out of state license invalid for a Texas resident, regardless of whether or not the person holds a Texas license. At least that is the way I read it.
    I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify that point although I realize it may be a gray area and just speculation until the law is finalized. Not planning on losing my TX license once I receive it or traveling to the few extra states the Utah license covers but I'd rather be prepared if either happens. Same logic behind wanting the permit in the first place. :) Thanks again.

Here is the text of the bill

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. Section 411.173, Government Code, is amended by adding Subsection (b-1) to read as follows: (b-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (b), a person's license issued by another state may not be recognized in this state if the person has established a domicile in this state. For purposes of this subsection, "domicile" has the meaning assigned by Section 522.003, Transportation Code.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I'd get the TX license first then get a PA or AZ license as a backup. Those States will send you a license if you already have one, you don't need to take a class. Utah only adds WA, WV, and Ohio.

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    TXInvestigator, that is exactly the way it reads! However, the real crux of the problem is a bill filed in Utah that will make Utah CFP invalid if you are not a resident of Utah or if you do not have a CHL issued from your permanent state of residence! If Utah passes this bill, the Utah CFPs already issued will not be revoked but will probably not be renewed without showing your resident state's CHL. One thing for certain, if TX does not fix the Utah CFP problem, Utah is going to because they do not want their permit to fall in disfavor such as NM, NV and CO have done. I teach both and hate to see any additional restrictions but I have also known it was coming for the last year or so.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    I'd get the TX license first then get a PA or AZ license as a backup. Those States will send you a license if you already have one, you don't need to take a class. Utah only adds WA, WV, and Ohio.

How do you get an AZ license as a backup to a TX CHL, do you just call and ask for an application?

Top Bottom