• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Out here in the Midland Odessa area, west Texas, there's a bunch of oil field work going on. If you are willing to travel, or move, somebody out here is always hiring. If you want to pm me with contact info., I'll ask around a bit if you want.
    Venture Surplus ad

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Oil business has been pretty good to me. 25 years. If you get a chance to get a foot in the door then do it and stick with it. Life is good.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    breakingcontact, you got an inside line on this field of work? any contacts that i can talk to and apply with?

Nah. Not really. Just general advice. My military career brought me in contact with that world and those guys. Lots of RR jobs arent working on the trains too. Signal maintainer, track inspector, car repair, mechanics on the crazy powerful engines.

Just throwing it out there. Its one of the few industries that is growing (oil and gas too). Pay is good. Hours can be weird but if you are up for it and have an understanding wife its not all bad.

BNSF/UP are considered pretty good. CSX not so much. Short line RR (not class 1) is a good way to get a start.

Not sidetracking your oil and gas industry thread, just throwing out another option.

If youre really up for an adventure and a crazy work/home life, go up to the North Slope in Alaska. Have a friend there who mostly builds scaffolding from what i gather.

Appreciate your willingness to work hard. Just find yourself a career and not just a job.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Just take a drive out to the Midland/Odessa area. Anyone with a pulse that can pass a drug test can get hired to any number of O&G jobs.

You're a little late to the party though.

SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    Just take a drive out to the Midland/Odessa area. Anyone with a pulse that can pass a drug test can get hired to any number of O&G jobs.

You're a little late to the party though.
    Im seeing that a drive is what Im gonna have to take. Phys and Drug test are non issue, just gotta get a foot it quick. Also understand Im a bit late to the party but I think its far from over lol

SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    Nah. Not really. Just general advice. My military career brought me in contact with that world and those guys. Lots of RR jobs arent working on the trains too. Signal maintainer, track inspector, car repair, mechanics on the crazy powerful engines.

Just throwing it out there. Its one of the few industries that is growing (oil and gas too). Pay is good. Hours can be weird but if you are up for it and have an understanding wife its not all bad.

BNSF/UP are considered pretty good. CSX not so much. Short line RR (not class 1) is a good way to get a start.

Not sidetracking your oil and gas industry thread, just throwing out another option.

If youre really up for an adventure and a crazy work/home life, go up to the North Slope in Alaska. Have a friend there who mostly builds scaffolding from what i gather.

Appreciate your willingness to work hard. Just find yourself a career and not just a job.
    Ill be looking into this, the wife is up for an adventure as long as she's taken care of. She wants a ranch with garden, chickens, and goats out in these hills. Her job right now takes her all over texas and i go along with her alot lately. Everyone kept tellin me Texas was all heat and desert but its beautiful out there in the cuts man. its a nice place to live and watch your kids grow up. and also gives you room to make your own little shooting range LOL

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Im seeing that a drive is what Im gonna have to take. Phys and Drug test are non issue, just gotta get a foot it quick. Also understand Im a bit late to the party but I think its far from over lol

I've been in the industry for quite a while.

Left the east Texas gas boom when it soured in 2008 and been working the Basin ever since.

Great place to work, shitty place to live.

That's why I'm out there during the week and at home in north Texas on weekends.

I know a whole lot of guys, myself included, who changed their family trees by getting into the O&G business.

Good luck and give me a shout if you end up in the Basin.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Im assuming divorce? Thats shitty, if thats what happened. Im just praying this is the direction God wants me to head.

Not what I meant. I mean changing the tree financially.

Like going from renters to property owners, from worrying paycheck to paycheck to having enough to live comfortably and even put some back for retirement, investments, college for the kiddos, etc...

Divorce will happen in any industry but I don't know a whole lot of guys who have gone through it in this industry.

Those wives tend to get pretty when the stress and worry over finances is lifted.

Bring home the bacon and stay away from the vices and you're good.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom