• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    Just moved here from CA and was interested in getting into the petrochem industry with SuperHeat FGH out of Benicia but they were only hiring local for out of state work. I dont mind traveling and being away for a bit. Im just not sure what exactly Im looking at as far as entry level positions. My work history is sales for the most part. Firearms, shoes, cellphones, printers, and cameras are what Ive sold but Im pretty techie, also pretty handy and can MIG weld in a pinch. Ive read that the Roustabout position is what I would be starting at ( correct me if Im wrong ). Im 30 mins SW of Fort Worth (Granbury). Wife has a friend in Azle whos husband is in this line of work but I wont be able to talk to him until next week. Im hoping to go meet him and talk about this kind of work with more than just a dumb look on my face. In other words, educate me with the basics if you can, and Ill connect the dots when and if everything else falls in place. Im grateful the wifes salary can squeak us by, but I didnt plan on coming to Texas being unemployed. But, things happen and I am now looking for advice.

Thank you in advance

SE7EN26
    Lynx Defense

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Welcome. Please leave any and all liberal baggage and voting in California. Do you have any schooling, or welding certs? If you do, chemical plants and other industrial places pay well.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It seems like oil industry jobs are very plentiful in Texas and they pay pretty good. From what I've heard, they equip you with everything you could possibly need for the job-except clothes depending on the employer. But they all supply cover-alls, so you're good there. The schedules can be anything from 3 days on-2 days off, to 2 weeks out-1 week in. Hours can be brutal for some places, and then pretty decent in others. I find that usually they longer your work spans are at a time (day-wise), the easier they are on you at work because they know they're pushing their guys for a long time in between breaks. Good luck! Tell us how things go as you do it so we can keep up with what's going on in the industry.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I work a 15 on 6 off rotating day shift night shift schedule, we've been pretty busy here in frack but I keep hearing get ready for the first of the year slow down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If you are offered a job, take it. Until you get experience, great jobs will be few and far between. These companies are smart and can see who the good workers are. Unless you know someone, your initial experience will not be pleasant. However when you can put some field work on your resume, then other companies will hire you away at higher wages. I do not see many people move up in companies in the oilfield. However they getter better positions moving between companies.
    All of the positions require constant drug testing. Users need not apply.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i read an article recently about "life in the oil fields". Apparently the entry level guys make good money by working ungodly hours because i read the starting pay for roustabouts (those are the guys that move stuff around right?) was like $13 an hour or so. Perhaps the article had it wrong.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Didn't say I wrkd those entire hrs lol sometimes we fly RC helicopters or race care. Or pull up the football game by satellite. It's not all fun and games by any means but it's not all bad.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I work 21/7 12 hr days in safety. Bringing in the ballpark of 5k/month. I'm entry level as well. But just as Stukaman said all those hrs aren't work. Just on paper! Lol! I've been hearing the South TX is suppose to pick up after the first of the year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    put me on that work crew. Im no stranger to busting my @$$. I came here from CA from a 54hr FT gunshop job plus a 16hr PT retail job. Also far from a Liberal to those that are concerned. Only mistake I made coming to Texas, was bringing all my guns with me. I should have sold at RAPE ME PRICES (read Fair Market Value) out there and I would have made out like a bandit here since prices here aren't bank breakers.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Finally got out of driving, was told about a job with Permian Trucking starting at 24hr then 26hr after 90days wrkn 85 or more hrs a week. But in the end I feel it's just a driving job where on a frac crew I have more room for advancement than just a driver.

SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    Im not asking anyone to put in a good word, but a phone number and name and a little info on what i should be getting in would be ideal. its really what Im after. Stuka, whats the job title? also whats the company name? if anyone feels the need to just send a message instead of commenting here is fine also.

Top Bottom