• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm presently looking for an ak 47 to add to my collection, if anyone knows where to get one for around 600 or less used or new. i wouldn't be opposed to a face to face deal either as long as it comes with a bill of sale. im sorry if this is the wrong section for this but i didnt see the gun classifieds any where
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow, WASR 10 for $500? Not bad.

Just so long as you know that those rifles need some finishing (the wood is practically unfinished).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    7.62x39 is the most common by far.

It's good to 200 yards, 400 if you're good, have a really good AK, and conditions are right for it. It's about all I think I'll ever need in a "tactical" rifle. Anything else, I'm picking up a precision rifle.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    7.62x39 is the most common by far.

It's good to 200 yards, 400 if you're good, have a really good AK, and conditions are right for it. It's about all I think I'll ever need in a "tactical" rifle. Anything else, I'm picking up a precision rifle.

200 yards with an AK eh? what kind of optics are you equipped with? red dot?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    200 yards with an AK eh? what kind of optics are you equipped with? red dot?

Red dot (Aimpoint comp M2, but I broke the mount.. have to get a new one), but the standard sights will do it, too.

I've had mine out as far as 300. It wasn't exactly hitting a pie plate at that range, but it could hit something torso-sized, which is about all I could ask for.

Remember that the AK was pretty much designed for use out to about 300 yards. The "combat" setting (pull it back past the 1 setting, SKS rifles have it too) is around a 250 meter zero.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Red dot (Aimpoint comp M2, but I broke the mount.. have to get a new one), but the standard sights will do it, too.

I've had mine out as far as 300. It wasn't exactly hitting a pie plate at that range, but it could hit something torso-sized, which is about all I could ask for.

Remember that the AK was pretty much designed for use out to about 300 yards. The "combat" setting (pull it back past the 1 setting, SKS rifles have it too) is around a 250 meter zero.

That's badass I know that when I pick one up I will definitely want to test the limits of it... I'm not looking to hit pie plates either but yeah a torso is a nice target....

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I know it's not technically an AK, but I got a Saiga 7.62x39 from gilbertsguns.com for 439. You'll have to get a tapco stock and pistol grip and the 30 round mag to make it look right, and 922r compliant (if you care), but I love mine.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I know it's not technically an AK, but I got a Saiga 7.62x39 from gilbertsguns.com for 439. You'll have to get a tapco stock and pistol grip and the 30 round mag to make it look right, and 922r compliant (if you care), but I love mine.

that's pretty much an identical set-up to what I was looking at... what's 922r compliant mean?

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Because of some of the importation laws, the gun is imported as a sporting rifle, so in order to convert it to a non-sporting configuration, you can only have ten foreign parts, and will need to replace 4 in the case of the Saiga. Using the pistol grip and collapsable stock counts as one, and the mag counts as three, so you should be good. However, I'm not a lawyer, so do some reading up on 922r compliance on the ATF website to be sure.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Because of some of the importation laws, the gun is imported as a sporting rifle, so in order to convert it to a non-sporting configuration, you can only have ten foreign parts, and will need to replace 4 in the case of the Saiga. Using the pistol grip and collapsable stock counts as one, and the mag counts as three, so you should be good. However, I'm not a lawyer, so do some reading up on 922r compliance on the ATF website to be sure.

Awww good to know... thanks for the info

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Actually, the Saiga is an AK. Made at Izhmash, dimpled receiver, etc. The differences are minor.

The Tapco pistol grip stock "conversion" is cheesy IMO. Better to actually modify the rifle with a real conversion.

922(r) is one of the more ridiculous federal gun laws.

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I know that the Saiga is made at Izmash, and they're good rifles, but they don't take standard ak mags (you need surefire mags or you need to convert the rifle itself: model IZ 132) and the trigger is further back than on a "regular" ak. As for the Tapco stock and pistol grip, I liked it and it was cheap. It works pretty good too for me, but that's all personal preference. Which stock and pistol grip would you have gone for? Oh, and I agree that 922r is crap, but I figured I'd throw it out there for anyone who cares.

Top Bottom