• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    You should be a lot more specific. If you're not sure, I'd recommend you start with a lot of research. ARs come in every shape and size. You should determine what your primary use will be, and then go from there.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    You should be a lot more specific. If you're not sure, I'd recommend you start with a lot of research. ARs come in every shape and size. You should determine what your primary use will be, and then go from there.

This x1000, start with what you'd primarily be using it for hunting, target shooting, home defense etc. What barrel length would you want, what twist rate, what caliber chambered, do you want it to be able to accept a suppressor? Hand guards would you like vietnam A1 style, a quad rail to accept accessories, free floated or not? Buttstock, fixed or collapsible?

I could go on and on, that's one of the great (and bad) things about AR ownership your imagination (and wallet) are your only limits. Good luck with your search though if you need some suggestions feel free to hit me up.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Regardless of what you want to use it for, buy a quality rifle. There are better rifles than a Rock River for around the same or slightly more money.

I've never understood the mentality that it will just be a plinker so buy the cheapest out there.

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Regardless of what you want to use it for, buy a quality rifle. There are better rifles than a Rock River for around the same or slightly more money.

I've never understood the mentality that it will just be a plinker so buy the cheapest out there.

I agree with ya on that, but expect to get flamed lol. We got a bunch of plastic lower lovin hippies on this site .

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Let em flame. Ive got a flame retardant suit, LOL.

Why would you buy a DPMS, S&W or even a Rock River when for the same or slightly more money you can get a Colt, BCM or Daniel Defense which are top tier rifles? You'll have a rifle for a lifetime and will actually retain value well in the event you ever had to sell it.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    If you want to learn more about ARs you could assemble it yourself. This way you aren't paying for parts that will never be used.

This way you don't pay for an unused grip, stock, hand guard, etc.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    between 900 and 1200

Buy this BCM 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with LaRue Tactical 12.0 Handguard $779 get the pinned and welded option $45. Also get this BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16 $149 and this AR-15 Charging Handle $23. Buy some cheap flip ups (til you can afford better) $60.

$1200
    -$779
    -$45
    -$149
    -$23
    -$60
    -$25 (shipping and tax)

Looks like You will be getting a new frontier plastic lower, but look on the bright side, You have a sweet ass upper, and can always get a different lower, and sell the plastic one, when finances permit.

clay_07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    TX
    I am also thinking about putting my own together. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find good uppers at a good price?

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I am also thinking about putting my own together. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find good uppers at a good price?

Are you referring to the upper receiver only or an entire upper receiver group???

both of my current AR's have been built from mostly the receiver up...

my next two... (father and son project in progress in another area) are starting from stripped lower receivers and working their way up... not sure if the uppers will be 100% custom like my 7.62x39mm AR or more like the 5.56 which is a Bravo company 20" upper with some parts added and others changed outl..

Top Bottom