• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Okay, you all know I'm in California, a long way from the land of decent cowboy boots. Can anyone recommend a location, either one I can order from the internet, or maybe a store I can visit next time I'm in Texas, that makes a specific type of boot. What I'm looking for is a square-toed, tan-colored boot made from soft leather. In fact, you can see the boots I want in the Clint Eastwood movie, For A Few Dollars More, and a particularly good shot of them is when Clint Eastwood grinds his heel (it's the boots Eastwood wears I want) on Lee Van Cleef's boot. I had those exact boots as a kid and have never found them since. Whatever help you guys can give me I'd appreciate.
    Capitol Armory ad

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    Check out these sights:

Western Wear, Cowboy Boots, Western Shirts Apparel and Clothing | Cavender's Boot City Western Store

Western Wear, Cowboy Boots, Wrangler Jeans, Levis Jeans, Justin Boots, Ariat Boots, Cowboy Hats, Work Boots, and Cowboy Shirts by Sheplers

Basically, when you come to Texas, look online or ask around for a Western Store. Most good size cities should have at least a couple. Ariats and Tony Lamas are nice. Luccheses are really nice. Twisted-X makes a comfortable boot for cheap.

Square toes are the way to go. They're in style now.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I don't know if you will find exactly what you want.

Boots are one of those things, you really need to try on as they all fit differently. I would suggest just going to a boot store and trying several on, until you find the right one. Unfortunately, there are not many good boot stores these days. When I was a kid you went in a local store and the owner measured your foot and pulled out a couple different pair to choose from, with the emphasis on a good fit. Know you are pretty well stuck with going to some large chain, and picking them out yourself, and you can't hardly find anyone that understands a proper fit.

Online, you could try some like Cavenders.

As far as brands, Justin is good, if you go with their mid to higher end boots. Their cheaper boots in my opinion have suffered in quality in recent years. For everday wear, it is tough to beat the tenko crepe sole boots.

Luchesse and Ariat are also good choices.

If you want a quality boot made to order in an authentic 1800s style, try one of the following links.

[url]http://www.fugawee.com/CWArtilldetail.htm[/URL]

[url]http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/index.html[/URL]

That is all one persons opinion.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    TD In CA I suggest the following:
    Western Wear, Cowboy Boots, Wrangler Jeans, Levis Jeans, Justin Boots, Ariat Boots, Cowboy Hats, Work Boots, and Cowboy Shirts by Sheplers

Dan Post men's eel cowboy boots
    Eel is just like wearing the finest pair of calf skin gloves you ever owned and you feet will never sweat

Tony Lama men's lizard skin western boots - pointed toe
    Lizards are just like eels but are tougher and harder to scuff.

Tony Lama men's quilled ostrich cowboy boot
    Quilled ostrich are just the best all the way around.

Lucchese Classics men's alligator cowboy boots - medium toe
    The last pair of the above boot I paid $500.00 for they are a little more pricey now!!! Just like the best calf skin gloves you ever owned.

Tony Lama men's elephant western boots - narrow round toe
    This last pair I still own 25 years later!!!!
    5 sets of heals and 3 full soles. They will last a life time. A good cobbler will just stretch them and rebuild them. They take about a month of regular wear to break them in but once they break in they fit like a glove. The only down fall is in cold weather they are stiff till the warm up some.

These are dress boots and form fit. They do require care and cleaning with the proper products but if well cared for will last upwards of 10 years or longer.
    I've own each one of these through the years.

Mo

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I don't know if you will find exactly what you want.

Boots are one of those things, you really need to try on as they all fit differently. I would suggest just going to a boot store and trying several on, until you find the right one. Unfortunately, there are not many good boot stores these days. When I was a kid you went in a local store and the owner measured your foot and pulled out a couple different pair to choose from, with the emphasis on a good fit. Know you are pretty well stuck with going to some large chain, and picking them out yourself, and you can't hardly find anyone that understands a proper fit.

I'm looking not only for square-toed, but most especially the tan soft leather. If needs be, I'd have them specially made, but that would be a last resort. To show you exactly what I'm looking for I've included a clip from For A Few Dollars More below. Look at Eastwood's boots when he grinds his foot on Lee Van Cleef's toes starting at about the 3 minute 25 second mark. Those are the exact boots I want...just like I had as a kid.

YouTube - For a Few Dollars More (6/13)

-

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    A pair of custom made boots will start at a grand and go up from there. Off the shelf I have had good luck with Ariat. Not too expensive and fit well enough. My most comfortable pair of boots were Harley boots. Had to have one of them cut of my foot last year, ruined that pair. Getting hard to find a pair that is affordable and made in America.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Dang, call me a cheap bastard but I draw the line at a thousand bucks. I'll search the different companies you guys have suggested, but if anyone can turn me on to a place that sells the specific kind of boots I'm looking for there'll either be a case of beer or box of cigars in it for you. I know how to repay my people....

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    You might check out Lucchese's website directly. They have a bewildering collection of styles. If you take the time to go through them all, you might find what you want.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I have one pair of Lucchese's that probably cost twice as much as any footwear the wife owns. Strictly town boots.

I buy Ariat's for around the ranch. I usually get them from Shelpers:

Having never worn cowboy boots before I was surprised how much breaking in they need. The first couple of weeks will feel like they are 3 sizes too small. My current work boots fit like a glove, I'll be sorry when I finally wear them out.

Top Bottom