• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Currently living in NJ with all indications I will be in Texas (Allen area) by the end of August.

I'm building a rifle primarily because I have a buddy that lives down there that has some acreage and wants help with hog depredation.
    I've hunted and am a decent shot. So I decided to go with a .223. I'll be loading my own using Nosler "Bonded Performance" bullets and Varget.

The rifle is a BCM upper/lower with factory parts in the lower. Premium BCG and a 16" Criterion "Core" series barrel(I'm currently 5 weeks in to a 12+ week wait), 16" set up for a suppressor with a SureFire muzzle device. Optic will be a Sig Sauer LPVO Tango 6, 1-6.
    Everything is just parts right now and sitting in a box waiting on the barrel.
    Unfortunately NV and or Thermal is not an option at this moment. If "excess" funds are found, I will be buying a suppressor first and foremost. Glass will come after if deemed necessary.

Did I do ok with my choices? Any suggestions on changes that I can effect prior to assembly/move?
    ARJ Defense ad

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    A 223 will kill pigs pretty well as long as the shot placement is good and correct type of bullet is used, but I prefer to use my 6.5x6.8 wildcat, 6.8 SPC II, or 260 Remington AR10.

If I take a 223 for pig hunting, I use the Sierra 65 gr Gameking bullets. They work really good.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My vote is change your trigger to something nice. If constant feedback is shot placement then that matters.
    It's the upgraded BCM trigger which is surprisingly nice. I'm a trigger snob so I am in agreement with you.
    I vote 308
    Tough to do on an AR15 platform. I have bolt guns in 6mm, 7mm and 30cal.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I think your rifle choice is just fine. Bullet selection is more of an issue here and I think your Nosler bonded bullet will be fine. I also second the comment abut the Sierra 65gr Game King if you can find them. The 165gr Game King is my preferred 30 cal hunting bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That’s why you need an AR-10. :)
    Coming up but not right now...
    I think your rifle choice is just fine. Bullet selection is more of an issue here and I think your Nosler bonded bullet will be fine. I also second the comment abut the Sierra 65gr Game King if you can find them. The 165gr Game King is my preferred 30 cal hunting bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I will look for them. Thank you.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    My rifle, is a DPMS Sportical, the only thing I have upgraded, is a free float handguard and pistol grip. Currently, it has a RDS as an optic and it is very accurate. I have put down many hogs with this setup, using 77gr FMJ. Around here, woods are really thick and hardly ever get over a 100 yrd shot, mostly 50yrds or less, so this setup works very well. I have never had a hog walk off, drop right on the spot. The barrel may be a 1:9 twist, but at these short ranges, stability or accuracy is not an issue.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My rifle, is a DPMS Sportical, the only thing I have upgraded, is a free float handguard and pistol grip. Currently, it has a RDS as an optic and it is very accurate. I have put down many hogs with this setup, using 77gr FMJ. Around here, woods are really thick and hardly ever get over a 100 yrd shot, mostly 50yrds or less, so this setup works very well. I have never had a hog walk off, drop right on the spot. The barrel may be a 1:9 twist, but at these short ranges, stability or accuracy is not an issue.
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    That's what I have but it's a 10

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I started with 556. Then I went to 300BLK, now I am at 762.

762 just gives you more. More thump, more range, more forgiveness for less than great placement.

I am not sure how it works for others, but for me I rarely see a single hog. I see sounders full of them. Anywhere from 4-5 to 20+. So I get one good shot, and after that it is a free for all. They are running everywhere and you are shooting COM.

My advice is do not buy anything else till you get here. A lot of what you have is not optimum or is costly and locks you in (like SF muzzle device).

Right now the best deal is an DPMS LR-308 lower kit from CDNN.

DPMS LR308 COMPLETE LOWER WITH STOCK GRAPHITE BLK (cdnnsports.com)

Then get complete upper from the usual places and are in business.

Top Bottom