• KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Daytime and nighttime setups.
    742BF432-A550-43A1-BA24-D34E587997A4.png

MK12 with a 2.5-10x32 for daytime and a Colt 6920 with a Super Hogster thermal for night time. Both are 5.56 with 1in7 twists and shoot 77gr very nice.

The guns were in the house before the floors.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The only issue i can see with an AR10 platform is the weight... especially once you add a bipod, can, thermal & full mag. If your hunting out of a blind or on a buggy & not carrying it around weight might not be too bad. But if your lugging it around in the field with a tripod that thing will wear you out. Not to mention the overall length once you put a can on it. Trying to swing it around on moving targets might be a hindrance out of a blind or buggy.

Even an AR15 platform with 16" barrel & can, on a buggy can be cumbersome. Unless you got a seat on top the bed & shooting off the top its not too bad.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    0ff4a1b798230e20a06dd6d9238b280e.jpg

12” 6.5 grendel with a quick detach thermal.
    I stalk hunt so it was getting heavy carrying an ar10. The quick detach let’s me take the optic off and scan the fields without having to use the gun to do that. I reattached the optic enough times that I don’t even have to look at the gun when I do it.
    You could do the same with a sightmark wraith if you can’t justify getting a thermal for occasional hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    0ff4a1b798230e20a06dd6d9238b280e.jpg

12” 6.5 grendel with a quick detach thermal.
    I stalk hunt so it was getting heavy carrying an ar10. The quick detach let’s me take the optic off and scan the fields without having to use the gun to do that. I reattached the optic enough times that I don’t even have to look at the gun when I do it.
    You could do the same with a sightmark wraith if you can’t justify getting a thermal for occasional hunting.

What brand barrel are you running?

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    What brand barrel are you running?

No idea, cheapo PSA Upper, works good with my hand loads.
    Never really tested long range accuracy, the longest shots I take at pigs are 100-150 yards but that’s rare, I usually get closer than 50 yards to them.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    No idea, cheapo PSA Upper, works good with my hand loads.
    Never really tested long range accuracy, the longest shots I take at pigs are 100-150 yards but that’s rare, I usually get closer than 50 yards to them.

I use a PSA upper 6.5 Grendel as well with an 18 inch barrell. It's a tack driver, I stalk hunt pigs too and I have to say.. I sure as **** wouldn't want to do it with an AR10 and my ATN X-sight 4k pro. That thing weighs nearly 11 pounds.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    If you are going to have just one rifle, then consider a caliber which is legal to hunt deer in nearby states and with less critical shot placement. Pigs are difficult ... usually at night and they are fast! I use a .308 or a 300 blackout brush. Welcome to Texas

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you are going to have just one rifle, then consider a caliber which is legal to hunt deer in nearby states and with less critical shot placement. Pigs are difficult ... usually at night and they are fast! I use a .308 or a 300 blackout brush. Welcome to Texas
    I actually just picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout 308.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I actually just picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout 308.
    Good choice. I have not been disappointed shooting deer and hogs with a 308. The 150gr Norma Whitetail that can be found at Academy is very accurate in my Remington 700.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    I am living here now but don’t have a bench to finish building my upper :(
    Also, starting (another) job and timing with my buddy has proven difficult. I have, however, been doing a lot of fishing.
    I don’t frequent here much any more, glad you made the move. I saw you got a ruger scout, those are great rifles.

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I have used 5.56 almost exclusively for pigs for many years. I use a 20 inch barrel and I think that makes a difference. Mostly black hills heavier weight ammo.

Top Bottom