• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I will agree with most everything that has been said here. And like someone else said, the number of hogs I have killed has a comma in it. I quit counting after I hit 1,000. What no one has talked about so far is what fine table fare they are! But a few things I've learned from experience about eating them. First, get them on ice quick. Second, kill them quick. A wounded hog releases some stress hormones that give the meat a bad flavor. Third, soak the meat in ice water for at least a week. Salt in the water is even better. Drain the bloody water as the ice melts, then add more ice.

I kill hogs to preserve my property. My house is way back in the woods with a creek nearby, and they come right up to the house at night. They used to root up my yard before I put up an electric fence.

Last edited:

AS2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Houston, Texas

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1566347082090_kindlephoto-18601402.jpg
      FB_IMG_1566347082090_kindlephoto-18601402.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 86
    • Haha
    Reactions: Eli

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I was lucky enough to get 3 of those lower kits when they were $299. Only built one out, intentionally made it a budget gun using a AR-Stoner upper for $850. Then moved my Trijicon MKIII Thermal over to it. It is a KISS gun, does one thing and does it very good, kills hogs. Lightweight, no extra bling on it not need for its mission.

Well the CDNN kits are now $350, but the AR Stoner uppers are 50% off. < $800 for a LR-308.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You have links for these?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Prices seem to fluctuate.

Right now lower is $299

and upper is $594:

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    This is what I use, sometimes .308, sometimes .223. Never had to chase one very far, but shot placement is everything.

1635765091914.png

MUNITIONS EXPRESS makes Remington products affordable.

Remington Hog Hammer .223 Remington 62gr Barnes TSX Hollow Point Boat Tail Lead-Free 20/Box is made for hunting feral swine with deeper penetration and rapid on-hog expansion. Hog Hammer penetrates even the thickest-skinned wild hogs with a Barnes TSX Bullet at its core. The all-copper bullet construction delivers deeper penetration than standard lead-core bullets, making it the toughest expanding bullet on the market, offering near 100% weight-retention on-hog, while expanding rapidly to deliver devastating wound channels. This ammunition is California Certified Nonlead Ammunition, new production, non-corrosive, boxer primed, in reloadable brass cases.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    This is what I use, sometimes .308, sometimes .223. Never had to chase one very far, but shot placement is everything.

View attachment 285875
    MUNITIONS EXPRESS makes Remington products affordable.

Remington Hog Hammer .223 Remington 62gr Barnes TSX Hollow Point Boat Tail Lead-Free 20/Box is made for hunting feral swine with deeper penetration and rapid on-hog expansion. Hog Hammer penetrates even the thickest-skinned wild hogs with a Barnes TSX Bullet at its core. The all-copper bullet construction delivers deeper penetration than standard lead-core bullets, making it the toughest expanding bullet on the market, offering near 100% weight-retention on-hog, while expanding rapidly to deliver devastating wound channels. This ammunition is California Certified Nonlead Ammunition, new production, non-corrosive, boxer primed, in reloadable brass cases.
    Yeah that is long gone. Not sure if it will come back

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    For those of you using a 5.56/.223 with FMJ...given a standing (first) shot on an "unspooked" hog....what is your aiming point?
    I've read "between the ear hole and the eye", I've heard recommendations for neck shots, and I know the vitals for a hog are farther forward than the standard "right behind the front leg" POA for a deer...so where do you shoot 'em?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    For those of you using a 5.56/.223 with FMJ...given a standing (first) shot on an "unspooked" hog....what is your aiming point?
    I've read "between the ear hole and the eye", I've heard recommendations for neck shots, and I know the vitals for a hog are farther forward than the standard "right behind the front leg" POA for a deer...so where do you shoot 'em?
    Lower part of shoulder. Breaks shoulder and double lungs/ heart shot.
    If you have good light and a still pig, the ear shot will drop them instantly. I typically go for body shots and keep firing on sounder until the bolt locks or I can’t see pigs.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Lower part of shoulder. Breaks shoulder and double lungs/ heart shot.
    If you have good light and a still pig, the ear shot will drop them instantly. I typically go for body shots and keep firing on sounder until the bolt locks or I can’t see pigs.

Until it goes click...

iu

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    This is where you will get a clean quick kill. A head shot is iffey because you cannot guarantee that the animal won't move its head in a feeding situation, bobbing up and down.

1636113551600.png

The same for a neck shot...the spine is lower in the neck than where you think it would be. Too high a shot and the only thing you are going to hit is skin and grissle. The lungs are protected by the thick shoulder blades.

1636113651249.png

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX

Their weakest point is about 2 to 3 inches behind the ear hole. Hit them there and it breaks their neck. They drop like a rock.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I added a 300 blackout upper for hogs, took some tuning to get consistent operation from both 5.56/300 uppers without changing recoil buffer or spring each time..even functions with friends suppressor attached!

Top Bottom