• ...and so much more!
  • SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Hi folks,

I got a question for y'all. Do y'all know of any online resources that can give me an idea of what a particular gun should be worth.

I have some family who are having an estate sale for some guns that are new in box unfired, some of which i know are valuable, and i was wanting to know what they might be worth.

I thought of gun broker but i think most prices on that site are inflated.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Blue Book is the bible of values. Online subscription isn't much. Compare that to gun broker pricing to get an idea.

Agreed, Blue Book also gives you some info on similar models that may be higher or lower in value based upon various options. This info is good to know so that you can determine if the person selling the gun is trying to rip off unknowing buyers. Case in point, I have seen a High Standard pistol a a few local gun shows that the seller has a premium price on claiming it is a 50-60’s era pistol and very collectible. I had looked it up after the first time I saw it as I knew the price was high, found out it was the last in the series and not worth half what he was asking. I called him out on it at the third show I saw it...he did mention he had had it for over 6 months. I told him at that price he will have it for at least another 6 months. Something tells me he jumped on it for too high a price without checking it and now he is trying to keep from loosing his shirt on it.
    My son in law was with me on that third trip.. I showed him the listing in the bluebook after we got back to the house and his eyes lit up understanding now what I was goading the seller about.

Small differences in chambering or barrel length can drastically change the value. GunBroker loses the regional value of some firearms....and lately has idiotic inflated prices. Yes it is a tool, but compared with other references do you get the data you need.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Gunbroker works well to value a gun, but, you have to check for completed auctions, that actually sold. It will show you what people are actually paying, in more of real time environment.
    Always check "sold" prices. Regardless of what some "experts" say, a gun (and other items) is worth what the seller can get for it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Start with this (emphasis added)...
    Gunbroker works well to value a gun, but, you have to check for completed auctions, that actually sold. It will show you what people are actually paying, in more of real time environment.
    ...then use this...
    Blue Book also gives you some info on similar models that may be higher or lower in value based upon various options.
    ...to make percentage adjustments to apply to your particular firearms.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Always check "sold" prices. Regardless of what some "experts" say, a gun (and other items) is worth what the seller can get for it.
    This. Sold/completed auctions will show what people are actually paying. The asking price tells you nothing.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I regularly use GunBroker to get various gun values (actual sale prices).

I have a system - I filter by "Price: low to high" and I catch listings when they are new. If they don't have a stupid "starting bid" price (most of the time bidding begins with a penny). I'll bid $1 on maybe 100 different guns per day. This keeps them in your "Lost Auctions" for a period after the auction ends and it records the actual sell price that one can refer to and record elsewhere.

If you just "Watch" various GunBroker listings, you won't see the actual sell price.

The other good GunBroker method, although more time consuming, yet entertaining, is to sort by "Time: Ending Soonest" and watch what happens in the last 15 minutes of listing. The sell prices often skyrocket so you have to see where the sell price is when "the last grain of sands falls through the hourglass."

A couple other options are:

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    List it on Gunbroker starting at a penny with no reserve. Let it run for 7 or 9 days. People will let you know how much they think its worth. I've been listing some estate guns that way and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I regularly use GunBroker to get various gun values (actual sale prices).

I have a system - I filter by "Price: low to high" and I catch listings when they are new. If they don't have a stupid "starting bid" price (most of the time bidding begins with a penny). I'll bid $1 on maybe 100 different guns per day. This keeps them in your "Lost Auctions" for a period after the auction ends and it records the actual sell price that one can refer to and record elsewhere.

If you just "Watch" various GunBroker listings, you won't see the actual sell price.

The other good GunBroker method, although more time consuming, yet entertaining, is to sort by "Time: Ending Soonest" and watch what happens in the last 15 minutes of listing. The sell prices often skyrocket so you have to see where the sell price is when "the last grain of sands falls through the hourglass."

A couple other options are:
    Why don't you go to the advanced search and looked at the completed auctions?

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    List it on Gunbroker starting at a penny with no reserve. Let it run for 7 or 9 days. People will let you know how much they think its worth. I've been listing some estate guns that way and I haven't been disappointed yet.

This is exactly how I sell guns. Lots of pictures, and you will get what it’s worth, everytime.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Why don't you go to the advanced search and looked at the completed auctions?

I'm thinking I have tried that in the past and either it didn't work as expected or I didn't get accurate results. Maybe thats a feature only available to gold members? I can't remember. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try it again.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I'm thinking I have tried that in the past and either it didn't work as expected or I didn't get accurate results. Maybe thats a feature only available to gold members? I can't remember. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try it again.
    You must have an account to search completed auctions, but nothing special.
    Once you select completed auctions, you will then be able to set a timeframe of how far back you want to look. I believe you can go back about 90 days.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX

I totally agree. But, one must be willing to set thier own opinion aside and accept the "fair market results." One can't back out of the deal if the final sell price is less than expected... well, one can back out, but they won't continue using GunBroker much longer for doing so.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Thanks folks, i went ahead and checked out gun broker as suggested and i signed up for a month of blue book. I think i got a handle on the guns they have, most of them anyway. The descriptions are very generic so some of the revolvers and shotguns have a wide range until i get specifics.

Let me ask you guys for some additional advice . In a perfect world i would just buy the whole lot but i can't do that so i have to cherry pick what i go after. This is an auction so who knows what they will sell for.

They are selling some 44 magnum revolvers: two S&W model 629's (a 629 and a 629-1), one model 29-2 and a Ruger Redhawk. If you could have only one what would you go for?

They also have a 4" Python but that will be out of my price range.

They have six Winchester model 70 Featherlite XTR"s in six different calibers: 308, 30.06, .243. .270, .257 Roberts and 7mm Mauser. Out these rifles, which calibers would interest you the most because i've never heard of some?

Thanks

Last edited:

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    The .257 is the one i never heard of before.

Thanks for the info.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    They are selling some 44 magnum revolvers: two S&W model 629's (a 629 and a 629-1), one model 29-2 and a Ruger Redhawk. If you could have only one what would you go for?

Me personally, I'd love a 29-2 to go with the other -2 N frames in my collection. But I am partial the blued revolvers.

Nothing wrong with any of those, depending upon condition and such.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

They have six Winchester model 70 Featherlite XTR"s in six different calibers: 308, 30.06, .243. .270, .257 Roberts and 7mm Mauser. Out these rifles, which calibers would interest you the most because i've never heard of some?

Thanks

Like mentioned, your planned use makes a big difference. .257 Robert is a nice round but can be good or bad to find ammo. Of course, all ammo is hard now, and .257 may actually be easier to find than 30.06

If I were given one of them, the easy choice is the .308, which is a good all around caliber and typically easiest to find ammo for...and typically the cheapest to shoot as well.

The 30.06 does anything/everything the others will do except maybe be a good coyote gun if you are hunting fur...then the .243 would be my choice.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom