• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    I'm going to concealed-carry a Colt Defender 45. Today, I went to the gun show in Fort Worth and ended up buying a waist band holster. Under my t-shirt, you can tell something's there. You just can't tell what. I also have a Colt Mustang 380 (much smaller frame) and it looked the same.

I didn't particularly want to carry an in-pants holster in the small of my back cause my shirt might ride up when I bend over.

What kinds of concealed carry holsters are y'all using?
    Military Camp

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II Inside the Waist Band holster. I wear it in the 4:00 to 5:00 position. I've never tried Small Of Back carry, but would like to experiment with it, although I have concerns about that method of carry. One of my concerns is ability to draw in a timely manner.

The Versa Max II is comfortable, as holsters go, and I'm satisfied with it. I started out with it in the 3:00 position but didn't like it because the gun handle kept jabbing my ribs. I moved the holster toward the 6:00 position until I found a compromise between draw and comfort.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    I actually have another issue too. I've always been a Glock shooter (don't hate me!) and this is the first single action semi-auto I've owned. I'm pretty nervous about walking around with it cocked and locked. I can just see the slide lock getting knocked down and me firing it halfway through my draw. I want to feel safe while I'm carrying it; not like I'm going to shoot myself drawing it.

Sneakyabn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Pasadena
    I run a Raven Concelment holster with a M3 light attached I have used it for a year or so and this thing is the Heat.The Malabar Front

I use this with A Glock 23. There product really stands up and they warranty there stuff for Life.

OldGringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    Just from my limited experience with custom holsters I like my

Texas Heritage IWB from Tucker Holsters for my full size .45 1911 (wide distance between holster clips disperses weight evenly)

Memphis IWB from Southewestern Holsters for my 9mm S&W's (pricing placed a role here. again, good distance between clips for weight distribution, but not reinforced for single handed reholstering)

Uncle Mike's IWB (cheap throwdown holster, but i find i will frequently grab it when I'm just making a quick run to pick-up pizza or fill up the truck on a Sunday night)

Will be placing an order next week for another holster from a lesser known leather maker but cannot comment on his work as of yet. Being a lefty makes it difficult to find stocked gun leather which I can try before I buy.....

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    With the 1911 following on here, I am surprised nobody haschimed in on this yet.... I am actually more comfortable from a saftey standpoint carrying my 1911 over any of my striker fired pistols. There are more safteys on a 1911 and unless you are running a competion or LE trigger, the trigger pull is about the same. You shouldnt have your finger inside the trigger guard on a draw anyway... just my opinion...

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I actually have another issue too. I've always been a Glock shooter (don't hate me!) and this is the first single action semi-auto I've owned. I'm pretty nervous about walking around with it cocked and locked. I can just see the slide lock getting knocked down and me firing it halfway through my draw. I want to feel safe while I'm carrying it; not like I'm going to shoot myself drawing it.

I have the Colt Defender and I carry it in a DeSantis "Cozy Partner" IWB without any problems. I'd stay away from the snap top's unless it specifically says's it's made for cocked-n-locked, else they tend to rub against the lock. All of my guns are 1911 and I carry cocked-n-locked, it does take getting used to, but this gun is safe and made for this type of carry. IMO you're more likely to shoot yourself with a glock on the draw from an IWB than a 1911.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just posted this on another forum so it's still fresh...

Crossbreed Supertuck. Here are a few reasons why it's the best holster for so many:

1. Two clips far apart mean the holster and pistol won't rotate on you when you sit or stand.

2. Having the clips offset from the pistol means the overall thickness is a lot less than holsters with a single clip stacked on top of the pistol.

3. A single layer leather backing with a Kydex body means less overall thickness. Compare that to the multi-layer thick leather holsters with a big clip all lined up with the pistol. Ever try to stick a soda can in your waistband?

4. Each clip has four holes and there are four holes on the leather backing for the screw. That's 16 possibilities each side for a total of 256 different settings. What that really means is you can set it to many different cant angles and you can have the holster ride high or low with respect to your belt. Other holsters give you one setting and you're done.

5. Once you've found your settings, you can cut off the excess leather or clips. Or you can just leave them alone. Since there's only one layer of leather and it's not stitched or lined or anything, you can take a razor blade to it and trim it. That means you make the holster fit your body and carry style. You don't have to rely on some holster maker to decide what fits you. Can you imagine buying a car that has one setting for the driver's seat?

6. It only takes 2-3 weeks to get one. Waiting six months for a holster is just insane.

The Crossbreed Supertuck won't win any beauty contests but it's the one that works. You can buy the pretty holster and wait six months for it but who cares how pretty your holster is if it's concealed? I suppose you can show it to your girlfriend. She'll probably like it like she likes her Coach purse. She can appreciate fine quality handcrafted leather things when she sees them.
    icon_lol.gif

Or you can buy the holster that works and has been working for so many XDTalk users.

PS. I don't work for Crossbreed. I just tried their holster and love it.

Edit: The one I have has 4 holes on the clips. Standard Comptac CTAC clips will work with the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    Yes. I feel kind of foolish about the terminology. I've been shooting handguns for 30 years but my 2 Colts are the first single action semi-autos I've owned. I wrongly called it a slide lock because it flips up and notches into the slide. My subconcious thinks it's locking the slide but if I'd think before I spoke, I'd know it is actually a safety. Mea Culpa

You mean the safety, right?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Well, it actually does lock the slide (when it's in the up position, you can't rack the slide), so technically, you are not incorrect. On the other hand, there are companies (Novak, I think, is one) who are customizing 1911s to remove the slide lock function from the equation. They cut opposing bevels on lower rear edge of the frame and on the inside of the safety, so that the safety no longer serves the slide locking function. I am not sure of any disadvantage this may offer, but it sure seems like a good thing to be able to clear a round by racknig the slide without having to disengage the safety.

But I digress. I agree, practice is needed to gain confidence. It took me a long time before I felt comfortable carrying a cocked and locked 1911, even with all the safeties considered. It's almost like it's a mind game.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If you don't feel comfortable carrying a 1911 in condition 1, carry it unloaded, completely unloaded checked and double checked. Carry it around the house, lay down on the couch, bed, roll around on the floor, mow the yard, ride a bike, I'd say take a shower but that's going a little too far.

When you realize it's damn near impossible to even knock the safety off, then realize if you did, the grip safety won't get depressed on it's own, and the trigger won't pull itself, you'll feel better.

kcompton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    No S-O-B proponents, huh? I would love to hear from someone on the practicality of small of the back concealed carry with a 1911.

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    No S-O-B proponents, huh? I would love to hear from someone on the practicality of small of the back concealed carry with a 1911.

Most of us are not SOB proponents for the simple reason that either by accident or a BG intent you are knocked to the ground on your back the 1911 could cause spinal injury.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    I really like the looks of the Crossbreed Supertuck. Being slim, it's hard to find a holster that doesn't print on my shirt. During the winter, it doesn't matter cause I wear a nylon jacket but I need something for this summer. Thanks everybody for the help!!

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I have used the follwoing holsters with success: Sparks Versa Max 2, Sparks Summer Special, Comp-Tac Infidel, and Comp-Tac MTAC. The Versa Max is probably the most comfortable holster out there and it conceals very well, but the wait and/or price are up there. The MTAC is also a very comfortable holster and also conceals well. The SS and Infidel are very similar in design aside from materials. Both are all day comfortable and conceal well. I have carrier everything from a G21 to Springfield TRP in these holsters with nothing more than a T-Shirt covering them. No printing with normal activity. Start doing aerobics and you start printing. Sadly, however, my experiences may not carry over to you since our body types may be radically different. No matter how hard you try, you will end up with a box o holsters to put up for sale. Dont feel bad... we all went through the same routine till we found the holster that worked for us and our gun.

As for SOB, aside from the possible injury during a fall, you also have issues with retention and protection. With my gun at my side, when in a crowd I can use my elbows to protect the gun from people inadvertantly bumping into it and wondering what was up. If someone tries to grab the gun I can still have leverage to push down on the gun and have a better chance at retaining it. With the gun in the SOB you cant shield it from people bumping into it in a crowded line or something. If someone tries for a grab you have a lot less leverage with your arm behind your back.

Top Bottom