• Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    How about a crossbow or a compound bow?
    Ya, I was thinking to suggest picking up archery as a hobby. I done know what the cost of entry is, but the “ammo” is reusable

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ya, I was thinking to suggest picking up archery as a hobby. I done know what the cost of entry is, but the “ammo” is reusable
    Archery is stupidly expensive! Last time I was in an archery shop with a friend my comment was I‘ld still have my suppressed rifle long after what he just bought was demoed obsolete! And my rifle suppressor was slightly cheaper!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Sub-sonic .22 LR is the way to go IMO.

FYI, when you are done shooting you will find your barrel may requiring a lot of detailed cleaning.
    A solvent trap can assist you with easy cleaning and less mess. Food for thought.
    Let your neighbors know what's up, then shoot whatever is killing the chickens with what ever you want if they don't fix it on their end first.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd like to echo the sentiment, while the dog, or dogs may need to be taken care of, do it humanely and ethically as possible.

IF you know, or have an idea of who owns the dogs. contact your local Animal Control officer for assistance. If they and the sheriff's department are aware of the situation, you may not even have to worry about suppressed or being quiet.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Not sure why a gun shot is such a big deal? I lived inside the loop in Houston and heard shots all the time day and night.

If the shot ain’t directed at me I don’t care! Not sure a single shot would draw much attention most places! Most folks are to busy on their phones to look up!

If y’all’s mind is made up you have to kill a dog, just do it and don’t phuc it up! Y’all already screwed up the shut up part of the deed!

So much of what I have read makes me believe someone has chickens who shouldn’t have them. You mention they have dealt with the other then dogs killing the chickens. Same thing about fortifications to the chicken coop!
    ^^^^This.

Everyone is either too busy or their house is too insulate to hear.

I had on two separate occasions heard a shotgun, probably small, fired across the street, even caught it on camera (recording that is), no one heard a thing.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Watching this thread for a while. I really agree with cam and hoji on opinions. Look...we have a dog problem in our county area. Said dog jumps on cars, gets in trash, and doesn’t like anyone. Most of you that know me know what my solution is. However, and understand this clearly:

Even if an animal pisses me off, I will not do something unethical. Unethical includes is a shot safe? Will the dog die without suffering? IMO it’s a pest. I take my son to the county road for his bus in the am. That dog is in the area. I pack. I’m in the clear defending my boy. Still...we have an obligation to make smart choices.

The dog stopped getting into my trash once I secured it better. I stand watch when my boy is waiting for the bus. If the dog needs to go I’ll bait with nothing toxic, on my property, and it will be a fast kill. No suffering. No traps. No poison. Do not sin in anger. You will make a mistake.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    ^^^^This.

Everyone is either too busy or their house is too insulate to hear.

I had on two separate occasions heard a shotgun, probably small, fired across the street, even caught it on camera (recording that is), no one heard a thing.
    Gone to several suicides in an apartment, with the neighbors at home but they didn't hear anything when their neighbor ate his gun.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    1. The sentiment about suffering - I actually completely agree that it's wrong to make a dog suffer. I was just saying that this one is getting 0 sympathy no matter how "nice" of a dog it is. If it returns, and is caught, it needs to go. Back at the ranch, once a dog got a taste for blood, it had to be dispatched, because the next thing you knew, it'd take out big money in goats. Can't tell you how many of my favorite dogs growing up eventually disappeared. It was always somber.
    2. This place was previously burglarized after a firearm was discharged about a decade ago, so that's a sore subject. Not really looking to be vandalized again, just for defending the flock.
    3. Agree on making sure there is no collateral damage, and the shot is effective if taken. I don't think that the poison is an option, or anything that seriously risks it just being injured but escaping.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Not sure why a gun shot is such a big deal? I lived inside the loop in Houston and heard shots all the time day and night.

If the shot ain’t directed at me I don’t care! Not sure a single shot would draw much attention most places! Most folks are to busy on their phones to look up!

If y’all’s mind is made up you have to kill a dog, just do it and don’t phuc it up! Y’all already screwed up the shut up part of the deed!

So much of what I have read makes me believe someone has chickens who shouldn’t have them. You mention they have dealt with the other then dogs killing the chickens. Same thing about fortifications to the chicken coop!
    Yeah I'm close to inside the loop. Nobody pays attention to a single shot. You have to basically be doing mag dumps or exchanging fire before anyone notices.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area

I'm not the one doing it, so the shut up part doesn't even apply to me, and honestly, your suppositions are offensive. The chicken owners are actually a lot more pro-active than you're giving them credit for, and I may or may not have seen the "fortifications" and it's not like they aren't trying.

How about sticking to my question instead of judging a situation you don't know?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yeah I'm close to inside the loop. Nobody pays attention to a single shot. You have to basically be doing mag dumps or exchanging fire before anyone notices.
    I lived right inside the loop were South Main & Buffalo Speedway cross. The 24 hour restaurants right there were the culprits of many an emptying of pistols & revolvers, once all the bars closed and drunks ate.

A friend of mine had a Houston Chronicle route of vending machines & businesses in that area. He never went unarmed, keeping Surbu super shorty handy.

New Years morning around 3:00 am I swear someone with a 7.62 shot 20 aimed shots! Before FLIR on HPD’s helicopter my house would regularly get lit up by their flood light.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm not the one doing it, so the shut up part doesn't even apply to me, and honestly, your suppositions are offensive. The chicken owners are actually a lot more pro-active than you're giving them credit for, and I may or may not have seen the "fortifications" and it's not like they aren't trying.

How about sticking to my question instead of judging a situation you don't know?
    Well bless your heart!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    So a family member recently lost a NUMBER of chickens to some dogs in an urban backyard. The pellet gun is no longer "cutting it." Technically it's still in the county, but in a neighborhood. What are their "quietest" non-suppressor options to dispatch a dog with a shot or two?
    A fence works well

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    If firearms and other weapons are out, the only thing left is turning that chicken coop into a demil zone. Maybe some concertina wire along the bottom of the coop would dissuade the dog from trying to get in past the chicken wire. Might be a bit over the top but it would be effective.

You can also bury some barbed wire about 4-6 inches under where the dogs are digging to get in if that is their avenue of approach. I get the feeling though that they are biting through the chicken wire?

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I once lived in a place where shooting was impossible due to blue stupidity. A NASTY neighbor had a large dog that raided trash cans. Owner thought the whole thing funny. The beast would knock over GI cans and roll them down the driveway until the tops would come off so he could scatter trash everywhere. Finally, I put the cans on a rubber mat, and wired them 120V thru a .047 MFD capacitor to limit current to non lethal levels.
    At about 3AM I learned that dogs can scream like a banshee!!
    Dog was not injured, and never left it's own yard after that!

Top Bottom