Hurley's Gold

Looking for optically perfect shooting glasses to go over prescription glasses.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Question for my fellow prescription eye-glass wearers. Common sense and most ranges demand safety glasses with side shields be worn when shooting. I've used a variety of cheap safety glasses that they hand out at work over my prescription glasses but they always have a little distortion and when I'm already handicapped with less than perfect vision, that's something I don't need. Can anyone recommend a pair of optically pure ANSI Z87 safety/shooting glasses that will fit over a pair of precription glasses?
    ARJ Defense ad

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Your best bet (optically) is to see your optometrist and request Oakley prescription wraparound safety glasses. The method of creating the corrective lens results in an optically clear correction with the appropriate ANSI protection.

Your wallet will not be happy, but you only have one set of eyes.

Another option is a set of prescription safety glasses with clip-on side shields. Again, there's a cost involved, and the ANSI requirements specify a minimum size.

Final option - assuming it's a possibility with your correction - contact lenses and a clear safety lens of your choice.

My opinion on safety glasses over prescription lenses? They suck. There's a compromise between safety and function, and both lose out.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I got prescription safety glasses at Walmart. They work great, have built in side shields, heavy frame, didn't cost a fortune.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    When I see my optometrist for a vision correction, I always tell him I need lenses optimized for shooting.

That results in a different correction than for any joe who walks in.

The optometrist always recommends polycarbonate lenses and a no-glare coating.

"Side Shields" never get mentioned during the exam.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning

Sapper has specific needs, but a couple of parenthetical injections to the conversation may be helpful for folks with slightly different requirements. Most of what follows is for pistol guys but rifle shooters could learn from it, too.

When I see my optometrist ...
    I am glad you have an eye care professional who understands your needs. Many people are not so fortunate. For shooters struggling to communicate with an eye care professional who has no idea what shooters need, the standard introduction to the subject, written by one doctor for consumption by other doctors, is this: Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

There is an illustrated version here: BULLSEYE SHOOTERS' GUIDE FOR THE EYECARE PROFESSIONAL

As good as these documents are, I have generally found it impossible to force a doctor to actually read them before the appointment. If they have not read them before the appointment, they simply will not be prepared. In fact, I have had doctors tell me that the equipment required to test as outlined by this guide simply does not exist in most offices. Whether that doctor was telling the truth or covering up for the fact that she had not read the material before I showed up for the appointment, I cannot conclusively say. In my case, I had both faxed and emailed the document, along with a plea that the doctor digest them before the examination, two weeks prior...yet it was obvious that the first time the doctor saw the information I provided was when she opened my case folder in my presence.

"Side Shields" never get mentioned during the exam.
    If I shot some of the stuff Sapper has, I would want side shields, too. :)

Since I shoot mostly pistols, I need only light control from side shields, such as from this:
    blind_zpsc1f7c59f.jpg

or this
    hat_zps739c7524.jpg

As for what I use for vision correction, anyone who saw me in those weird glasses at Hicksville will find an explanation (that I continue to stand by) here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/general-firearms-ammo/48130-superfocus-my-experience-so-far.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    If you know your prescription, there are many of these discount retailers online that will sell you glasses on the cheap. I picked up a pair of very nice prescription shooting goggles (sports goggles like some pro ballplayers wear) with all the bells and whistles for only $80 shipped. They're crystal clear and seem extremely well made. I went to TSO and was quoted $340 for the same goggles and a checkup.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Part of my problem is that my progressive eyeglasses have three viewing zones, near, mid and distance and I was told that wraparound eyeglasses are out of the question. My prescription eyeglasses must be flat, or nearly so to maintain the correct distance from my pupil, at least this what I've been told by more than one Optometrist. Further, my eyes have become more sensitive to bright sunlight as I've aged so I need Transition lenses which further limits my options. Lastly, I have "Dry Eye Syndrome" caused by Sjogren's Syndrome and any wind quickly drys what little tears my eye produces naturally which strangely, causes them to burn and tear excessively (I know that doesn't make sense). Side shields help cut down on the drying effect of the wind and offer additional safety too. Ben, I'll print that excellent article you posted and give a copy to my Optometrist and see what he recommends.

Top Bottom