Patriot Mobile

Looking for remote campsite in the area.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Anyone know of Camp grounds that are somewhat remote around San Antonio? I know a lot of official campgrounds have strict rules regarding digging of holes, and collection of rocks and wood and I would like to go over some bushcraft skills with my kid. I keep seeing canyon lake pop up, but all of the grounds don't even seem to be within a woodline.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palmetto

This is really closer to Luling, but it is nice.

aren't all state parks gonna be restrictive about gathering wood and doing things like OP said he wanted to do?

i took my son the the national park near Decatur , its under Fed not state.
    primitive camping, $4 per night, drop the money in a box and go.

you can take an axe, head off down a trail and build a lean too if you want to.

I's suggest you look into Sam Houson national forest, it would be a drive, but you don't have any state parks barney fifes driving around looking to bust you for parking on the grass or one of 500 other rules you have to follow in the state parks

Last edited:

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    State Park Fire Rules

(h) Fires, Firewood, Smoking and Fireworks. Portable gas-fueled camp stoves may be used in designated campsites or picnic areas; however, it is an offense for any person to:

1. light, build, or maintain a fire within a state park except in a facility or device provided, maintained, or designated for such purposes or to smoke or build fires when an extreme fire hazard has been posted by the department or a burn ban has been instituted by local government ordinance;
    2. gather firewood except when authorized by permit;
    3. leave a fire unattended; or
    4. possess within a state park any fireworks, explosives, or similar devices capable of explosion, or to discharge, set off, or cause to be discharged in or into a state park any such device or substance, except with written authorization from the director.

You're right VMAX, looks like a permit would be required to gather.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    State Park Fire Rules

(h) Fires, Firewood, Smoking and Fireworks. Portable gas-fueled camp stoves may be used in designated campsites or picnic areas; however, it is an offense for any person to:

1. light, build, or maintain a fire within a state park except in a facility or device provided, maintained, or designated for such purposes or to smoke or build fires when an extreme fire hazard has been posted by the department or a burn ban has been instituted by local government ordinance;
    4. possess within a state park any fireworks, explosives, or similar devices capable of explosion, or to discharge, set off, or cause to be discharged in or into a state park any such device or substance, except with written authorization from the director.

and they only want you to build fires in their fire rings or grills

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    State Park Fire Rules

Would this include ammo?

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Would this include ammo?

I'm not sure, this is all I've found.........

(d) Arms and Firearms. Arms and Firearms. It is an offense for any person to display or discharge an arm or firearm in a state park, unless:

1. the person is participating in a public hunting activity within the state park that has been authorized by written order of the director so long as the person is in compliance with the applicable public hunting rules and regulations
    2. the person is fishing by means of lawful archery equipment or is participating in an authorized, supervised recreational or educational activity
    3. the person is licensed to possess and carry a handgun under Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, and is in possession of and/or carrying the handgun in compliance with applicable law, including, but not limited to, applicable regulations adopted pursuant to Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    As long as you're licensed, openly carrying a firearm in a Texas state park is OK...

(d) Arms and Firearms. Arms and Firearms. It is an offense for any person to display or discharge an arm or firearm in a state park, unless:

- the person is participating in a public hunting activity within the state park that has been authorized by written order of the director so long as the person is in compliance with the applicable public hunting rules and regulations
    - the person is fishing by means of lawful archery equipment or is participating in an authorized, supervised recreational or educational activity
    - the person is licensed to possess and carry a handgun under Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, and is in possession of and/or carrying the handgun in compliance with applicable law, including, but not limited to, applicable regulations adopted pursuant to Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H

Source: http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/

Also...

"Going forward with the open carry law, you'll be able to display it if you're wearing in your shoulder holster or your belt holster, as long as you have a proper license," Tyler State Park superintendent Darin DePalermo said.

But park officers are not required to ask open carrying visitors for permits.

"Not unless there's another violation, another law has been broken or a crime has been committed; then we would ask, otherwise no," DePalermo said.

Source: http://www.kltv.com/story/30863876/open-carry-brings-changes-to-texas-state-parks

The penalty if a gun is discharged remains a class C misdemeanor.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    However, you will still find outdated TPWD websites that state you cannot show/display a firearm in a state park...

Our rules state that you may not show/display or fire your gun in a state park. If you have a valid Concealed Handgun License, you may carry your handgun in many state parks. But even with a CHL, handguns are not allowed in parks that are leased from the federal government. Check with the park before you go.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/frequently-asked-questions

And be careful of national park facilities...

On February 22nd, 2010 it became legal when visiting National Parks to carry loaded firearms in the same manner and to the same extent that such carry is legal in the state parks of the state in which the National Park is located.
    Please remember that you must continue to follow all CHL/LTC rules while carrying in State and National Parks. Keep in mind that even In National Parks where carry is permitted the law continues to prohibit carry in federal facilities and buildings located in such parks. So, carry is still banned in park visitor centers, ranger stations and administrative buildings and offices staffed by federal employees. Also, the National Park Service will likely take a broad interpretation of “federal facility.”

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Anyone know of Camp grounds that are somewhat remote around San Antonio? I know a lot of official campgrounds have strict rules regarding digging of holes, and collection of rocks and wood and I would like to go over some bushcraft skills with my kid. I keep seeing canyon lake pop up, but all of the grounds don't even seem to be within a woodline.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Can you detail more what you are thinking of with woodcraft and digging?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Leave it to the government to screw up a camping trip.
    You may enter, if you pay.
    You may camp, in the living room of the Holiday Inn.
    You may have a fire, unless we can think of any reason for you not to. And you will be notified by citation.
    You may have your legal weapon, but don't walk around with it or anything else. Federal employees may not see
    your weapon as it makes them cry.
    Have a safe visit. But too much fun costs extra.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    In my googling last week I saw an area near Colorado Bend SP called Sulphur Springs Camp. Seemed small and somewhat remote in areas to allow for the activities you want. That place was only one option I looked at off the "camp site near Colorado Bend" search. It seemed promising as far as type, though it still seemed like plenty of people go. I'm starting to think it'll be a lot of trial and error to find a spot that works for you.

I'm needing places that are close enough to drive to for having the standard two day weekend so I don't have to take a week off from work to go way out west texas. But I want it remote enough I'm alone. Not an easy bill to fill in public places.

For firearms, you're fine carrying EDC. I've CC'd in both State and Fed parks to hike and camp. It's fine and easy. Read the rules, follow and it's a non-issue that only you're aware of.

A quick note on the fire/wood/ring thing, the backcountry/primitive sites in most(all?) parks won't let you have open fires. It's a fire hazard (and the park's job is to protect/preserve the land & ecosystem). Only containerized sources. The water only sites down near the designated camp or rv area have fire rings, some only allow for *their* firewood to be used, which of course has to be purchased at the check in station. But people I met at camp brought in their own. I don't know how strictly that is enforced by park staff.

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    We camp once or twice a month at State Parks and we have never had a problem bringing wood in for campfires. I know technically gathering firewood is verboten but you should see the boy scouts scrambling all over the park "gathering" wood and it seems to me that as long as one is not chopping down trees the Park Rangers usually leave you alone. You shouldn't have to worry about a burn ban either with all the rain we have been getting. Big Bend is not near SA but it would definitely be remote! Here is the link for TPWD http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/nearby/all-parks and most parks also have reviews you can google to see if it is remote enough for you. We usually have less contact with people when we do the primitive sites and most parks have great trails that you should be able to instruct some land nav with a lensatic compass. I don't know if you geocache but all the parks I have gone to also have geocaches. I would also suggest ponying up the annual fee for a Texas State Park Pass....Good luck and have fun!

P.S. Hunting Leases are also a great place to camp! Ask your friends, co-workers, family members etc...Usually no rules, no people and you might be able to camp for free or cleaning some brush, fixing a fence, or a couple of bags of feed corn.

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Leave it to the government to screw up a camping trip.
    You may enter, if you pay.
    You may camp, in the living room of the Holiday Inn.
    You may have a fire, unless we can think of any reason for you not to. And you will be notified by citation.
    You may have your legal weapon, but don't walk around with it or anything else. Federal employees may not see
    your weapon as it makes them cry.
    Have a safe visit. But too much fun costs extra.

Why should it be free?
    It's not that bad.
    I've never seen NPS or BLM park rangers issue a citation without a warning; unless you or your group resemble the southbound end of a northbound horse, the Rangers often give several warnings.
    It was mentioned in this thread that the national parks located in Texas have the same carry laws as Texas, with the exception of fed-owned buildings.

Top Bottom