• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    I go to school full-time and work almost full time at the moment. Just want to get started with a police agency. Anyone know of or belong to departments that will hire and train a reserve officer?
    Target Sports

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    How old are you? My agency hires reserves, as well as numerous others in the San Antonio area(yes, I know you're in Houston though), but, they have to be certified already.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    TCLEOSE

Also see this post: Reserve Police Officers - Page 4...

Here in Texas Reserve Officers are sworn law enforcement officers and must become certified by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. Reserve Officers, while on duty, possess the same authority as a peace officer. In my departments reserves are classified as full time non-paid employees and must adhered to all policy and procedures of the department on and off duty including carrying of off duty weapons in proximity at all times. But like some departments can not work extra jobs as a due to not being a paid full time employee. Although Reserves may work in different divisions of the departments, they are generally assigned to the Patrol Division, and assist regular patrol officers in the performance of their duties.

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

CHAPTER 2. GENERAL DUTIES OF OFFICERS

Art. 2.12. WHO ARE PEACE OFFICERS. The following are peace officers:
    (1) sheriffs, their deputies, and those reserve deputies who hold a permanent peace officer license issued under Chapter 1701, Occupations Code;
    (2) constables, deputy constables, and those reserve deputy constables who hold a permanent peace officer license issued under Chapter 1701, Occupations Code;

Good luck, I wish I had the time to do something like this. Volunteering is fun, but it isn't the same!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Speaking of which, does anyone have any other alternatives for getting a TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Certification in the San Antonio area? The Alamo Area Law Enforcement Academy has two programs for to cover the 1,126 hours required; a full-time course which is 8 hours per day that you will complete the program in approximately six months or the the part-time course which is 4 hours per evening that you will complete the program in approximately 12 months.

Being that I work and travel a lot in my DoD contractor job, neither are really an option at this time. I was wondering if there are any institutions that taught some form of a "distance learning" program for the academic portion of the certification; and weekend classes for the requirements that have to be completed "in person." I did find there are guidelines from the state for DE programs, but I'm not sure if that just applies to in-service training requirements such as shown here. I have yet to find any such programs offered for the basic certification course.

Cheers! M2

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have never heard of an Basic Academy that you can do without being there. I think its like basic training. They want your ass in the seat. All the stuff that comes after you get your license you can do online or in much more accomodating ways.
    San Antonio College has a program similar to AACOG but youhave to physically be there.
    I asked a couple veteran officers I know about this before posting and they all said what I am saying now.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    When i was going to get mine, i went to a Community College and was taking the classes required to challenge the test. I believe it was 25 hours, then challenge the test, then a few more hours and you were done.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I am not positive but I dont think you are allowed to "challenge the test". There are practical hands on parts of the training that you will not get by just taking a written test.
    You cant go to the range and practice, you cant get behind the wheel of a police car and drive on a road course, you can practice clearing buildings or handcuffing arrestees by challenging the test.

Now... if you were a PO in another state there is an abbreviated training (80 hours?) then you can go to and then take the TCLEOSE test.

Top Bottom