• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I do my wifes resume but I'm disabled havnt worked in 20+ years nor been in college since 1989. I've seen newer resumes and frankly mine is dated. The info is there but I think modern hiring services and job search algorithms search more key words and when they read resumes they read the first little bit and pick or move on.

My wifes works retail management and her qualifications and experience is impressive in her field. Almost 40 years experience and a varied job history managing stores upto over 100 million dollars and 750 employees from large big box stores to more specialty retailers.

Retail is changing and so is hiring so I'm looking for a resume writing service that knows retail management and modern hiring formats.

Any recommendations?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Some things to chew on:
    Every company screens resumes with an electronic ATS - Applicant Tracking System. It’s basically a program that looks for key words.

So consider using different resumes, tailored to the position she’s applying for.

Literally take words/phrases from the exact job posting, and sprinkle them into the resume.

It’s a way to get beyond the ATS and in front of an actual human.

The days of a single, polished resume are over.

Also, and this is very subjective, consider parsing the job history, or making the date ranges vague.

While I think my 25 years in advertising is impressive, when I assign dates to positions it makes it easy for them to deduce that I’m over 50 years old…every company wants younger folks, it just is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Pronstar laid out a pretty good description of how things are now. As a manager, it used to irritate the crap out of me to deal with the Human Resources folks when we were trying to fill a position. They would get hundreds of resumes electronically and then use their search system to get it down to maybe 3 or 4 candidates. Those candidates NEVER fit the position, so I'd have to help them come up with better searches and they'd filter a NEW batch of resumes down to 3 bad candidates. Eventually I convinced them to just send me the resumes and I'd pick out the right people.

For example, I needed someone with environmental regulatory experience (EPA stuff), especially with air quality regulations. Well, "environmental" and "air quality" are also used to search for people who design commercial air conditioning systems, so that's the resumes I'd get from HR. HR people are extremely lazy, they don't want to understand what the business needs, and their totally convinced that the computer can to the job for them.

The computer will search for keywords, and nobody will see a resume that doesn't match the keywords in the job description.

Also, something I have always considered rude, no company sends out rejections any more. You send an application and maybe wait for months for the company to start interviews. If you're not selected, the resumes are just deleted and you have no idea what's going on.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    While I think my 25 years in advertising is impressive, when I assign dates to positions it makes it easy for them to deduce that I’m over 50 years old…every company wants younger folks, it just is what it is.
    I'm starting to think I should pretend the first 10-15 years of my career never happened.

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    I used ZipJob about a year ago to write my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. I was very pleased with the services. I paid $300 for those services and another $100 to post my resume on all of the job boards.

The $300 was well worth it, but I'd skip the $100 if I had to do it again. I didn't receive any good hits from that. Lots of jobs that weren't in my area of expertise (accounting). Or jobs that were way below my experience level.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There are also services that will take the posting and your resume, compare and score them. Jobscan is one I’ve used.

I’ll also say with the experience the OP’s wife has, she should also have some sort of professional network to lean on for news of openings/potential openings to look for and who’s willing to do an internal referral.

For most folks it’s easier to find a new job while you still have one and having an internal advocate for you makes that so much easier.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I used ZipJob about a year ago to write my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. I was very pleased with the services. I paid $300 for those services and another $100 to post my resume on all of the job boards.

The $300 was well worth it, but I'd skip the $100 if I had to do it again. I didn't receive any good hits from that. Lots of jobs that weren't in my area of expertise (accounting). Or jobs that were way below my experience level.
    Specifically what made the service so worth the cost?

I have trouble deciding how to translate some of my experience and I also don’t know exactly what I want to do next. How well did they help wording and such?

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    Specifically what made the service so worth the cost?

I have trouble deciding how to translate some of my experience and I also don’t know exactly what I want to do next. How well did they help wording and such?
    I believe they were able to incorporate my experience with certain keywords used in resume searches as well as focus my experience on what was most important in each role.

I also considered that a few hundred dollars were an easy investment choice in my career. If a better-written resume gets you the interview that leads to a better job, was it worth the cost?

Top Bottom