• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Wow if she can't rack the slide how does she handle the recoil? My wife got these small boney finger & she could do my Les Baer when it was brand new. Might want to try and have her work out with your Glock until she can do it.

lazypineapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    She hasn't shot it. so no tellin on the recoil.
    she has tried to work out on the Glocks.
    She can Almost rack the slide on my G35 , but noway on the G27.
    will probably get her a Revolver. If I can't fine her a SemiAuto to operate.
    Maybe a small SA to take the CHL and carry a Revolver.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    It could be that her form is bad. The biggest mistake guys make is buying a gun without their wife/girlfriends input. What fits your hands may not fit her hands.

Alright, this is the only video on youtube I could find, but watch where he puts his hands (if you can ignore the sniffs).

YouTube - How to rack the slide

1. The gun is in close, we're all stronger in close right? Nobody opens jars with their arms outstretched.
    2. He puts his hands over the slide serrations so he has more purchase.
    3. He pushes with his right hand AS he's racking with his left hand.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    IME, Glocks are about the easiest to rack. At least the 9mm. That's the only one my wife can rack. If that doesn't work, the revolver is the your best choice. But, the really small and light ones are going to be heavy recoil.

Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    If there is a local range that rents pistol, rent a couple that are appealing to her. See if she can rack those slides. If not, then move on to a revolver, and see if she is comfortable with that. My wife is good with a revolver, not so good with a semi-auto. Different strokes for different folks. Glocks and XDs are pretty easy to rack.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Far too many people try to rack the slide by slingshotting (sometimes literally, pinching the back of it between thumb and forefinger). I can do it with with some of my pistols, but not all and it takes far too much effort to do it routinely - nevermind under duress.

The overhand technique requires the least coordination and offers the greatest mechanical margin. You can use both arms and the overhand grip offers the most contact area.

I think the author of the article on Cornered Cat hit on the biggest impediment for most women - the crippling powers of perception. For a number of reasons - be it fear, intimidation, social conditioning, etc - women can easily convince themselves that they're physically incapable of performing that action when it's really a mental block. My mother - largely because of her age and upbringing - is mentally incapable of performing the slightest bit of vehicle maintenance even though she readily has the intelligence and mechanical aptitude to do it... she has a negative emotional reaction whenever you even talk about how things work on cars - like she's not supposed to be interested such things. Most women are stronger than they will admit, but many will only apply that strength to tasks they consider socially appropriate.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Wife can't rack my P232, P238 or any of the Beretta's. Put any of my .45's in her hand, an' she's good to go. I tell her she only wants to play with the *expensive* toys!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Most people have a lot more upper body strength than they think. I think a lot of people, including many women, just don't have a complete understanding of the physical components in a firearm, how they operate, and just how durable they are. Because of that, I think a lot of people are a bit timid about operating a semi auto, and are not using nearly as much strength as they are capable of for doing things like racking the slide. Just grab that sob, rip the slide backwards without remorse, and then let go. Sometimes I think people newer to guns are "afraid to break it" or something. One very important thing to remember is that, in most cases, when manipulating a firearm it is a good thing to be very abrupt and to a degree violent with all your actions. Many semi autos, like 1911s for example, can have really stiff main springs which means that first little bit of slide travel can be stiff as hell.

The easiest semi auto to manipulate is the H&K P30, hands down. It recoils soft, the spring is lightweight so it has about the easiest slide to manipulate, it's easy as heck and requires little effort to drop the slide using the slide release lever, etc etc.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . . My mother - largely because of her age and upbringing - is mentally incapable of performing the slightest bit of vehicle maintenance even though she readily has the intelligence and mechanical aptitude to do it... she has a negative emotional reaction whenever you even talk about how things work on cars - like she's not supposed to be interested such things. Most women are stronger than they will admit, but many will only apply that strength to tasks they consider socially appropriate.

So are you saying that it is possible for me to cook?

Damn. . . .

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    stiff slide

On pistiols with hammers, (like the 1911) the hammer can be cocked first, which lowers the power required to operate the slide. I don't know how the Glock operates, nor do I care.

Top Bottom