Looking for West Houston specifics......

Discussion in 'Houston' started by Texas Heat, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Texas Heat

Texas Heat New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I just want to see if I am missing out on anything or some hidden gem. I have Boyert for indoor on Mason and American Shooting Center for outdoor on Westheimer. I have never needed a FFL so far but may be looking into it. Who is the cheapest FFL around my side? Anywhere from Sugar Land through Richmond and up through north side of Katy will do. We're pretty spoiled out here seeing as to how we have the new Field and Stream, the Bass Pro and I'm within 20 minutes of 5 different Academy stores. I have no issue with Boyert but ASC is getting a little shifty lately. Are there any other outdoor places of quality nearby? Am I missing out on any great little stores with deals or do these big box stores have everything I need cheap enough already? Any shooting classes offered nearby with either indoor, outdoor, simulated or combat oriented training?

2. Longhorn1986

Longhorn1986 Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
  3. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun brass picker

Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Does anyone here shoot at a place called west Houston shooters club?
    I am trying to find the time to go watch one of their events to see if it is something I can do with my limited shooting skills.

4. RACER X

RACER X TGT Addict

Jun 18, 2013

Texas gun club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. RedFalcon

RedFalcon New Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Not too sure how far west you want, but 3Five7 in Katy off of Grand Parkway and I-10 does a pretty cheap FFL. Katy Gun Gear off of Mason and Kingsland is also a great little gun shop
  6. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I think you're missing something. The West Houston Shooters Club is a club, not a place. They actually shoot at Impact Zone.

As for whether they'd be suitable for you, your skills, and your tastes, it never hurts to just go to a match and watch. They shoot IDPA every Wednesday and on the first Saturday of the month; 3-gun on the second Saturday of each month.

Go. Observe. Be approachable. Ask yourself "Could I do better than the guy who finished last this time?" If the answer is "Yes!" or even just "Maybe?", then show up with some gear the next time and shoot a match.

If you really want to be prepared, you could spend several hours reading from the links provided on their web site. Frankly, though, if you show up with a good attitude most shooting groups will do whatever they can to help you succeed.
    Rusty Gun and Longhorn1986 like this.
  7. dermunkee

dermunkee Active Member Lifetime Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    Can you expand on your thoughts on ASC? I have a membership there, but haven't been back since before the flood since it wiped us out. Hoping to make it some time this month for some group therapy.
  8. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    If you're just looking for an FFL for transfers, I use Phil @ Geek's firearms in Sugar Land. $25 and close to my house. Really nice guy, too.

I don't like shooting indoor and avoid it if I can but G2G in Rosenberg is supposed to be pretty good. I want to drop in there one day just to check it out.

Have to start somewhere, even if it is dead last in the match. :)
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  9. RACER X

RACER X TGT Addict

Jun 18, 2013
    G2g is pretty small used to shoot there w the

Rosenberg defensive pistol club

They shoot out in Fulsher now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. schmellba99

schmellba99 Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I keep pimping him, but Texian Firearms is a place you need to look into. Small store, but Justin offers LTC classes regularly and has toyed with the idea of offereing some beginner and up shooting classes (defensive pistol, carbine, etc.). Not sure if he's gotten full bore into the shooting classes yet or not though. His FFL fees are very reasonable. On Westheimer and Highway 6, generally has some monthly deals going on. More inclined towards AR/modern rifles than anything, but can get you near anything you are looking for.

Longhorn1986 likes this.